Will a birth plan really be followed?

Some short back history first. I had a c-section with my first but it was really unnecessary and I am planning a VBAC with this one. Some of the doctors in my OB support it, others just claim to, as is evident by their attitude. I have already been told it didn't matter what I want, I was going to end up with a c-section anyway if the attending doctor didn't feel like giving me a trial of labor. Never mind that I am well aware of my rights.

Don't get me wrong, most of the doctors in there do actually support VBACs but I am worried about running in to Doctor A-Hole on delivery day.

I didn't have a birth plan with my first and have been working on one for this baby. Do the doctors and nurses have to abide by it or am I just wasting my time?

I would like to have as natural and unmedicated birth as possible this time around.

Xynyth

Asked by Xynyth at 8:48 AM on Feb. 9, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I have heard that birth plans are really more to help the mom get her expectations out and on paper. The Dr.s and the nurses have no legal obligation to abide by it, it is just a piece of paper that helps the mom prepare for labor by feeling like she has "planned" for it.
    That being said: they do have to abide by your wishes when verbally presented to them. You can most certainly hand out copies of your birth plan to everyone in the hospital, but do not expect the nurses or dr. to have it memorized or even necessarily do more than stick it in your chart, they've got a lot going on. Sounds like you have good support who will be able to help you get what you want out of your labor. Definitly make the plan so YOU know what you want, just be prepared to repeat yourself as necessary to your nurses and Dr. Good luck! And I applaud you for takeing your babies health into consideration above and beyond your own desires :)
    hannahjoy17

Answer by hannahjoy17 at 1:23 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• im sure they do unless it is a necesity they can't force you to have a c-section
    emtmommyamanda

Answer by emtmommyamanda at 8:51 AM on Feb. 9, 2009

• mine was and i did a vbac after 2 c-sections...if you go into labor on your own you can refuse the c-section and see where labor takes you....i did.
    ChaoticSoul

Answer by ChaoticSoul at 8:54 AM on Feb. 9, 2009

• Thanks, I do plan on laboring as long as possible at home in an effort to avoid any unnecessary interventions :)
    Xynyth

Answer by Xynyth at 9:17 AM on Feb. 9, 2009

• They will abide by it if they feel it is safe for you and baby. Some docs still feel VBAC is unsafe, old school. Good Luck.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 9:17 AM on Feb. 9, 2009

• YES. Your birth plan will HAVE to be followed. Also, put in there that unless the life is in immediate danger you want to discuss your options BEFORE they do any interventions!

Will you have a spouse or someone their for labor support? I highly recommend getting a doula if you can, as they can help make sure everything is followed to a "T".

I read that you plan on laboring at home as much as possible! Good! In all honesty, I'd look into a home birth midwife, but not sure how far along you are. Some will attend VBACs.

As for asshole OB. They can not give you a c/s against your will. If he's a douche just tell him to get out and you can catch your own baby. I am serious! That's all he is good for, unless a complication arises...

Whatever happens don't allow pitocin.. as that can be dangerous for a vbac. Also, refuse continuous monitoring, you can allow them to check intermittently but not constant. That makes you imobil
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 9:44 AM on Feb. 9, 2009

• Thanks, those things are definitely on my list already not just for the VBAC but because this baby has a two vessel cord. I did look in to a home birth (water birth actually) but because this baby has and might have some problems I do think it's best if we are at the hospital, as much as I hate that it has to be that way.

I guess it can't hurt to make one up even if it's just for me :) Thanks again :)
    Xynyth

Answer by Xynyth at 10:40 AM on Feb. 9, 2009

• Ah.. there is a women I know who had a homebirth with an SUA (single umbilcal artery). :) Everything was perfect and her baby was amazingly healthy! :) but everyone is different.

Just make sure that you have support as well, and someone who will help the nurses and doctors stay back, especially when you are vulnerable you know?!
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 10:57 AM on Feb. 9, 2009

• I am really hoping that everything will be fine :) and it's so good to hear when it went well for someone else!

My husband is amazingly supportive of me in this. Poor guy I think was more traumatized by my c-section than I was. I think he will be more defensive of me than a mother tiger lol.

Thanks again. I think I'll write up what I have and post it in a journal or something. Maybe get some feedback that way :)
    Xynyth

Answer by Xynyth at 11:07 AM on Feb. 9, 2009

• Sounds good. :)
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 11:19 AM on Feb. 9, 2009