Giving a stranger a ride

I was headed home from donating my kids stuff. I stopped at a gas station to get a drink because I havent had anything to drink or eat all day. Been busy cleaning my kids room and cleaning out their closets.
I walked out and this guy asked if I was headed East. I said no sorry I'm headed west. (wasn't lying).
Then it made me think even if I was headed that way I don't think I wouldn't give a stranger a ride. Granted its the middle of the day but still. So my questions are....

Would you give a strange man a ride? If it was a female asking for a ride, would you give her a ride?

If you said yes to one and not the other, why?

LostSoul88

Asked by LostSoul88 at 4:32 PM on Oct. 8, 2012 in Travel

• A man, never. Even in broad daylight awful things happen. A woman, maybe. It would depend entirely on the vibe I get and whether or not I have my child with me. If he's along - nobody gets a ride. Ever.
    hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 4:34 PM on Oct. 8, 2012

• No and my husband has done that late at night at gas stations. He's lucky he never ended up with a bullet in his head where he has been a Good Samaritan.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 4:35 PM on Oct. 8, 2012

• When we were kids my mom gave a ride to a stranger, a lady.
    When I was a teen my friend and I gave rides to two strangers (seperate times, both men).
    Today, no, I don't think I could give a ride to a stranger, I'm way too guarded these days, too much risk.
    Ludvik_Smith

Answer by Ludvik_Smith at 4:36 PM on Oct. 8, 2012

• i have done it on more than one occasion.
    one time, 4 young military personnel, walking outside city limits, headed back into the city. i knew where they had a come from (a gentlemen's club just over county-line) and knew they had a haul back to base (opposite side of the city). one asked for my # when i dropped them off, and we saw each other quite a lot during his month-long stay. eh..he was young and healthy. lol.
    the most recent, while visiting my parents, i saw a guy carrying two bags of groceries walking in the heat..poor guy was sweating bullets. i stopped and he got in the car, sat upright and quiet the whole time (i probably scared him!lol.), as he told me how to get to his house..about another 4min drive. you could smell the sweat, but i cranked up my AC while he was in the car.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 4:43 PM on Oct. 8, 2012

• No, I'd never give a stranger a ride.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 4:56 PM on Oct. 8, 2012

• My SO gets upset that I give strangers a hand. I've offered rides to females. I've offered rides to a group of young 20's hikers that parked their car 4 miles from the trailhead and were walking back along the road with dust kicked up by every passing car (really rough road for their little car). I've offered help to a females with a dead car battery. But I always feel out the vibe first. No sense in getting yourself in a pickle
    daylily888

Answer by daylily888 at 5:11 PM on Oct. 8, 2012

• Never never never never never - to anybody.
    idareyou

Answer by idareyou at 5:33 PM on Oct. 8, 2012

• I will not give anyone I do not know a ride anywhere. Male or female.

Answer by louise2 at 7:33 PM on Oct. 8, 2012

• Only my neighbours. Some of them like to walk to the village and back. I come to the rescue when it rains :) We try to help each other out here in the country lol
    winterglow

Answer by winterglow at 4:05 AM on Oct. 9, 2012

• We used to hitchhike as kids. Doesn't seem as safe these days but I think it depends where you live.
    momoftimanderic

Answer by momoftimanderic at 2:05 PM on Oct. 10, 2012