What should I do with a crib mattress that was left out in the rain?

It was outside last winter and got soaked, I dried it all out one day then realized- why the hell did I do that? This can't be used- what if mold grows? So after it was all dry I just stuck it in the shed. If I put it on the curb on trash day someone could pick it up and use it.

So- draw a huge x through it and write do not use? Then trash it? Or offer it free on craigslist for a dog bed? I don't know?

staciandababy

Asked by staciandababy at 5:38 PM on Oct. 8, 2012 in General Parenting

• I'd just trash it.
    Ludvik_Smith

Answer by Ludvik_Smith at 5:44 PM on Oct. 8, 2012

• I just don't want someone to use it. People dig through the trash and re-sell stuff around here. I don't know if permanent marker would stay or not- mattresses are slick. I'd have to cut it in half.
    staciandababy

Comment by staciandababy (original poster) at 5:46 PM on Oct. 8, 2012

• cut it up

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 5:51 PM on Oct. 8, 2012

• write "bedbugs" on it- no one will touch it :)
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 6:33 PM on Oct. 8, 2012

• if you're home on trash day, walk it to the trashman for proper disposal -- with no risk of someone taking it.
    KayGia0704

Answer by KayGia0704 at 6:40 PM on Oct. 8, 2012

• Trash it before you trash it - cut it to shreds, pull the stuffing out, make it truly unusable.
    idareyou

Answer by idareyou at 7:15 PM on Oct. 8, 2012

• I'd chunk it after putting some slits in it.
    goofygalno1

Answer by goofygalno1 at 7:50 PM on Oct. 8, 2012

• Normally I would say let them take it and that's what they get for going through the trash but since these are innocent babies we're talking about then I agree with cutting it up.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 8:05 PM on Oct. 8, 2012

• I would just put it by the curb. Maybe someone really needs it and that mattress is the only one they'll get. Or maybe someone wants it to put under a swing set or something weird like that.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 8:23 PM on Oct. 8, 2012

• If there is toxic mold inside the mattress then their baby is better off sleeping on a blanket on the floor.
    staciandababy

Comment by staciandababy (original poster) at 9:14 PM on Oct. 8, 2012