• In the Spotlight:

Dinner at the Dinner table

Does anyone have a Hubby who's dinner table is the couch? Mine is and it drive me insane. I feel like the only people in my family are my kids and I because we are the only ones eating at the table all the time. His excuse is that the chairs are hard and uncomfortable and because he drives around in his car all day for work he deserves a comfy place to sit his ass. I just want for once that we eat as a family.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:17 AM on Feb. 9, 2009 in Relationships

• Why not move the table over by the couch?

Why not have a picnic - you and kids on the floor?

Do you get the idea that he really wants to eat with you but can't or that he just wants his own space?
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 9:19 AM on Feb. 9, 2009

• I would push the damn couch up to the table. It is important to your kids to have a sit down dinner with the family. I would tell him studies have shown they get better grades and are less likely to get into drugs and or trouble in general. I think that is selfish on his part. It is not like you are asking him to sit on a pin cushion for hours at a time.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 9:20 AM on Feb. 9, 2009

• I was gonna suggest buy some seat cushions for your dinner table chairs!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 9:21 AM on Feb. 9, 2009

• studies have shown they get better grades and are less likely to get into drugs and or trouble in general.

Seriously?  What the hell.  Never heard that.  I guess my kid is doomed to a life of poor grades and drugs then. And it's going to be my fault because I can't afford a dining table and chairs right now. Wow, learn something new everyday. 

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:26 AM on Feb. 9, 2009

• This question is for people who have a dinner table, and not for the winey people that wine about not having enough money to buy one. GET A JOB. or get a dinner table free on Craigslist. but please stop wineing!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:35 AM on Feb. 9, 2009

• Man Im sorry to hear that.. My husband used to eat dinner with us everynight and now he is addicted to that computer game World of Warcraft so the computer is his new eating area.. If you find a way to get him to eat with you please let me know..
    lotus1216

Answer by lotus1216 at 9:38 AM on Feb. 9, 2009

• We used to be a couch eating family. Then our 2 year old just quit eating cause she was distracted by the crap daddy was watching on TV. Now we sit at the table. Poor hubby has to deal with the hard chairs. HAHA. Tell your DH he can handle a hard chair for 30 minutes to eat dinner and sit his butt on the couch the rest of the night, OR you can try to find a cushy chair on craigslist then he has no reason to whine about his butt and driving all day. ;-)

Navymama

Answer by Navymama at 9:40 AM on Feb. 9, 2009

• Oh saddaup anon 935
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:40 AM on Feb. 9, 2009

• The point is being together.

DH and I do not eat with the children but we sit at the table and talk about their day.

It's our time with them.

Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 9:46 AM on Feb. 9, 2009

• talk to him about it, and tell him how you feel. if you tell him maybe he'll get the message that he needs to be with his family at dinner times. i did it with my boyfriend and i telling him he should and bugging him til he did, eventually he'll get the message! if not, dont give him his dinner until he decides to get at the table to eat properly like a family
    courtneyy

Answer by courtneyy at 9:48 AM on Feb. 9, 2009