Anybody ever had a vertical c-section?

I've had a normal bikini incision and bounced back from that within a few days with the pain meds but I don't know much about vertical incisions and what the recovery is like. But since things are moving forward toward us having a preemie my doctor brought up the possibility of needing to do a T incision.

Anybody ever had a vertical incision? How long before you could do things like sitting up and walking to the bathroom with the pain meds?

lizziebreath

Asked by lizziebreath at 1:24 AM on Oct. 9, 2012 in Pregnancy

• I didn't even know they did these anymore! Sorry I can't be of much help. All my kids after my first born, so far, have been VBAC.
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 8:44 AM on Oct. 9, 2012

• For transverse babies,preemies sometimes,generally just when they need more space to work they do a lower vertical incision. High vertical is generally only used with early preemies because the lower section of the uterus is too thick to cut through.

So yes they still do them just VERY rarely.
    lizziebreath

Comment by lizziebreath (original poster) at 2:18 PM on Oct. 9, 2012

• Well, from what I've heard, yes they do tend to take longer to recover from (which is one of the reasons why they went to "bikini" cut). It also depends on your own body. Do you generally heal quicker than average? If so, then I would assume that this would be no different. The doctors will probably have the same rules as when you had your other baby...aka no lifting more than the weight of your own child.

But yes, I would just expect to take a little longer in recovery than you did the first one, and if it ends up you don't, then great :D
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 6:02 PM on Oct. 9, 2012