Should I put a lock on my girls bedroom?

My girls are 5 and almost 4. They get up before the sun and get into everything, the refrigerator, the cabinets, destroy the house , dump shampoo out into the tub and just make huge messes. This morning my teenage son woke up to a pile of my bras from the laundry room hanging off his doorknob and on the floor next to his door!urgh.Not to mention can be a little distructive like getting marker all over my brand new couch and we are totally unaware of whats going on until we wake up to this. We have tried everything to fix this behavior but kids will be kids when unsupervized. I am up late working so I cannot get up before they do or I would get no sleep and my husband has to work all day.We are apprehensive to put a hook lock on the outside of their bedroom door because of fire and safety issues. Help what would you do?

abcmy3kids

Asked by abcmy3kids at 10:04 AM on Feb. 9, 2009 in General Parenting

• Put a sensor alarm on their door that will alert you when they try to leave their room.
    MommyAddie

Answer by MommyAddie at 10:22 AM on Feb. 9, 2009

• Put child safety locks on everything. Cabinets, doors, the oven. It might not solve all of the issues, but it will help a little.
    Rebecca7708

Answer by Rebecca7708 at 10:07 AM on Feb. 9, 2009

• i agree with it being a fire and saftey issue i wouldnt do it but i had this problem w/ my dd when she was younger now not so much i solved it by putting one of those door knob things on you know so kids can get into the door idk if im making sense i only put one on the inside so she couldnt get out but i could get in you kids might be to old for this but there might be something for older kids if you look w/ the same concept
    emtmommyamanda

Answer by emtmommyamanda at 10:08 AM on Feb. 9, 2009

• No, you NEED to get up BEFORE them. Putting a lock on their door is a HUGE fire safety issues - what if you you and your husband were incapcitated and those little girls couldn't get out of the house in case of fire??? If you kept them up a little later at night, would they sleep longer? If not, you absolutely need to adjust your schedule so you can be up with them. I'm sure you'd feel terrible if one morning they got into something that hurt them while you slept.
    MommyAddie

Answer by MommyAddie at 10:10 AM on Feb. 9, 2009

• Could you put up a gate? Or tie them to their beds? J/K. As you said, putting a lock on the door is a definite fire hazard. What about putting individual locks on the cabinets or the different rooms they go into?  This is totally a behavior issue, they should both know better by that age!!  Good luck!!

mamatomy3boys

Answer by mamatomy3boys at 10:10 AM on Feb. 9, 2009

• You should also put stuff like markers and anything that could be harmful to them in places they don't have access to.
    Rebecca7708

Answer by Rebecca7708 at 10:15 AM on Feb. 9, 2009

• i put a gate in my sons doorway that way he cant get out till i let him. he wakes up at 7 am and i get dd up for school. but at night i know if i put him to bed and no gate he will be up all night getting into everything so we put a gate up. seeing how your kids are a little older put the gate up high enough were they cant climb over it or under it. alos try a moniter that way you hear them when there waken up. good luck..
    tabbys4

Answer by tabbys4 at 10:20 AM on Feb. 9, 2009

• I hate when people answer with some "perfect mommy" answer, but I have to say....a 5 and 4 yr old should not be unsupervised. Its just simply too dangerous and even more so because they are into everything. How about putting a tv in your room or in their room that they can watch to keep them occupied in the mornings. If you let them come into your room then you can still sleep but know where they are and what they are doing. Also they are old enough to give them specific instructions as to what they can and can't do.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 10:38 AM on Feb. 9, 2009

• Ummm have you tried spanking them?? Maybe you should really let go and stop being nice for a minute and be really mean. (Yes, yell at them.) To me this is not any different then running into the street. It is a safety issue and you need to get your point accross. They are not allowed out of their bedrooms until mommy comes and gets them.( Course you will have to put up with peed beds if this happens.)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:53 AM on Feb. 9, 2009

• i think the door alarm idea is great! do that & put a tv in their room or other activities they can only have in the morning & maybe that will help some.. they may learn the door alarm goes off--parent free fun over & start staying in their room in the morning. good luck.
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 10:55 AM on Feb. 9, 2009