i have a bad cold sore thoat a bad cough can i still breast feed an take med or should i stop feeding the baby

najah1

Asked by najah1 at 10:13 AM on Feb. 9, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would check with the doctor before I continued breatfeeding because that medicine could go straight to the baby
    lotus1216

Answer by lotus1216 at 10:17 AM on Feb. 9, 2009

• What medicine? There are plenty that are safe for nursing! No need to stop nursing for a cough and sore throat, your giving your child good antibodies! :)

http://www.kellymom.com/health/meds/cold-remedy.html

There are wonderful teas to help with your throat too! I recommend Throat Coat by Traditional Medicinals. Mix honey with it! It's fabulous!

celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 10:26 AM on Feb. 9, 2009

• call the pediatrician's office and the receptionist will tell you what you can take. Mine said Sudafed was the only one I could take, I took a few for a day and everything went just fine. DD was normal and my milk didn't dry up or anything.

Sorry you're sick =( That's no fun.
    julipickle

Answer by julipickle at 10:40 AM on Feb. 9, 2009

• And there's definitely no need to stop nursing.
    julipickle

• I agree with all the other advice. Definitley keep nursing! You'll give your little one antibodies specific to your current illness so your baby doesn't get sick (or AS sick). Be careful with sudafed though! Although it doesn't happen to everyone it CAN lower your supply. It did mine. Here is a link about it: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12848771?dopt=Abstract
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 11:07 AM on Feb. 9, 2009

• I agree with everyone else. Continue nursing. It will help keep your little one from getting sick. She/he will get all your antibodies that you are producing. Its a common misconception and marketing ploy trying to guilt mothers into quit nursing their wee ones while sick. I for one hate when people keep this rumor alive because it preys on sick and worried mama's minds and makes them think they need to stop giving their babies the best nourishment and defense against illness that they can.
    SmileyMoo

Answer by SmileyMoo at 12:18 PM on Feb. 9, 2009