Does anyone have any tips for feedinf with enfimil ar.. it gets clogged in nipple and I've tried making the hole bigger then it comes out too fast.Iv'e tried buying diff. stages and it still deosn't come out...My son did well on the formula but...any ideas??

Derekt1

Asked by Derekt1 at 10:31 AM on Feb. 9, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yep you need to make the bottle in advance and make it with very warm water. The warm water will disolve the forumula.

Answer by gemgem at 10:38 AM on Feb. 9, 2009

• my oldest used it and i had to use playtx bottles. it was the only kind the worked.
    mamaof2boys148

Answer by mamaof2boys148 at 10:38 AM on Feb. 9, 2009

• If you breastfeed you wouldn't have to worry about the nipple getting clogged.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:45 AM on Feb. 9, 2009

• Playtex bottles helped me, but with the clogging, I had to have my husband shake it, or pre mix it and store in fridge, only good for 24 hours in the fridge..
    Good luck to you.....
    franklynnsmom

Answer by franklynnsmom at 10:49 AM on Feb. 9, 2009

• Anon not everyone breastfeeds. There is no law saying you HAVE to breastfeed your child. I didn't breast feed and have great kids. No problems out of them. So please stop with the basgering.

Anyways make sure you prepare the bottles ahead of time. Warm water is a great source because as gemgem said it dissolves it.

My bottles never got stuck like except when I used cereal but I always made the nipple a little bigger when I did that.
    mommatime78

Answer by mommatime78 at 11:01 AM on Feb. 9, 2009

• It probably needs to be shaken harder/more. I always made big batches ahead of time and kept them in the fridge (day at a time) so I could shake the HECK out of it.

Other than that...you could try a variable flow...but you really don't want the baby getting chunks of the powdered formula so SHAKE SHAKE SHAKE...SHAKE THAT BOOO...TTLE. lol
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 11:02 AM on Feb. 9, 2009

• I agree with the comment on breastfeeding.It's pretty ignorant to say especially because there are different issues for everyone and not everyone is able to.
    Derekt1

Answer by Derekt1 at 11:04 AM on Feb. 9, 2009

• Ignore the BF comment. Don't feed her need for attention. The enfamil AR is the same thing as a couple of teaspoons of rice cereal in the formula, except way nastier smelling...LOL....Try buying the cross cut nipples. I agree about shaking it harder to get the rice dissolved into it better. ITs a very thick formula. Most bottles have the cross cut nipples available. You can cut it, but its harder to get the hole just right. I have over cut many times and had to throw it out. Hope that helps.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 11:12 AM on Feb. 9, 2009

• actually your nipples can clog when you breastfeed, anon. it is just more painful ;)
    you might consider a "ice tea spoon",spoons with a long handle, to mix the formula with some water till it is a paste, then filling the bottle and shaking it together.
    MythicMMM

Answer by MythicMMM at 11:23 AM on Feb. 9, 2009

• I know it says not to on the can but put the formula in the bottle before you add the water. and Then shake it up really good! And don't worry about the BF comment, she just wants attention!
    kirstensmommie

Answer by kirstensmommie at 11:33 AM on Feb. 9, 2009