Why Is government paying for converter boxes?

The Government has given out converter box coupons worth $40 to hundreds of thousands of people and is now including over $600,000 in the stimulus for more. When did it become the governments responsibility to make sure people can watch TV? This is your money people. If someone wants TV they will do what they need to do to get it. End of story. The government should not be doling money out for this. I have heard many people are getting their 2 coupons and reselling the boxes they bought for $10 at a profit. This is not where I want my money going. Please people , this is the epitomy of our Governments Wasteful spending. Get a clue!

itsmesteph11

Asked by itsmesteph11 at 10:47 AM on Feb. 9, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Why did you delete this question when KEHMom answered it so well?
    momtokate

Answer by momtokate at 10:51 AM on Feb. 9, 2009

• OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH.

I had such a good answer.

It was full of actual personal experience and such.

Call me "Urban Amish" if you want but I do not feel that I should have to pay for someone else's dumb idea.

Darn it - I hate deleted questions!!!
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 10:52 AM on Feb. 9, 2009

• Its for emergencies....ever see the emergency broadcast system...its there for a reason.
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 11:02 AM on Feb. 9, 2009

• Not only that but they wanted to extend the date of the conversion because "people werent ready". Theyve been talking about this for over a year. If youre not ready now, then sorry. I believe they are also wanting to make sure every home has internet and hand out cell phones too. (I will have to find that information) The idea is that the more the government can provide for you, then the more they can control you. Not trying to be conspiracy theorist here, but its just too obvious.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 11:07 AM on Feb. 9, 2009

• Um, right.

Television should be at no cost to the viewer if they are running ads since it should be paid for by advertising.

The fact that they wanted to "free up" spectrum so they could sell wireless broandband is NOT my problem.

The coversion is a dumb idea.

The $40 coupon does not even begin to cover the cost of a good coverter box.

Just because most people want to shovel even MORE money into the cable/sat company's pockets doesn't mean I want to. Nor should I have to.

But whatever - if it gives people another excuse for conspiracy theories and tinfoil hats, go ahead.
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 11:18 AM on Feb. 9, 2009

• Television is not just a "want" anymore, it's a necessity. While of course I don't agree with people selling anything they get from the government, I don't think there's much that can be done about it. Maybe some sort of alarm goes off when it's not being used by the household it was intended for? idk.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:30 AM on Feb. 9, 2009

• I have wondered the same thing! And THAT wondering led me into OTHER wondering, namely if the government can't even handle getting these ridiculous coupons out to everyone, aren't ready for the "big switch" date that has been planned forever, can't seem to make this lame thing go smoothly, why, oh why in the name of all things sacred do liberals want them taking over the health care system?!? It would be a TOTAL disaster!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:31 AM on Feb. 9, 2009

• I think there was more then enough time alloted.This is a bunch of crap as usual.Tin foil hats? Not on big government hun.......the more we allow them to control the more we hand over our rights.The less incentive for people to get out and do for themselves.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 11:33 AM on Feb. 9, 2009

TV is not a right - the government is not obligated to provide everyone a TV, and there's no reason it is obligated to provide converters either. If your TV breaks, it's not the government's responsibility to replace it. If you can't afford a TV, it's not the government's job to give you one. Why on earth should they have a damn thing to do with the converters?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:36 AM on Feb. 9, 2009

• They are giving out coupons because they are FORCING the change. And they only give 2 per household as well.. so at least theirs a limit.

I think it's all a big mess, but we will see after the 17th how it works out!
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 11:38 AM on Feb. 9, 2009