A question for stay at home moms

I am a stay at home mom of 3. My kids are 11, 10, and 4. My 4 year old will start full day preschool next year. My question is, when your kids get old enough for full day school, do you get a job or can you justify staying home? I would absolutely love a job working out of my home at my own hours so that I am still free to attend my kids activities because I feel that is important. So I will probably look for work from home or limited part-time work. What have/will you do when your kids are all in school?

AprilDJC

Asked by AprilDJC at 11:18 AM on Feb. 9, 2009 in General Parenting

• My kids are 4, 8, 15, 16 and 19 and I always stayed home with them. I never needed a justification why I didnt work. My job didnt end. I was still responsible for the home, their school stuff, volunteer work at their school, extra curricular etc. I loved being there when they got off to school and home from school. I think its important to have someone home for that rather then sending them to after school daycare. The only exception was when I went through my divorce and worked outside the home and was a single mom and had no other choice.

Answer by gemgem at 1:23 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• My son is almost 5 and is not enrolled in Pre-K. Next year when he starts Kindergarten, I might look for a part time job working hours that will allow me to drop him off at school and pick him up. So a job maybe a few days a week from like 9-1 would be great for me.
    CookieMom108

Answer by CookieMom108 at 11:23 AM on Feb. 9, 2009

• I am a stay at home mom as well with my 6 yr old in kindergarten and my soon to be 5 yr old home all day with me . she will start kindergarten in teh fall. i plan on then being the volunteer room mom that i so wante dto be this year but couldn't due to the younger one being home with me. i plan on switching days to be in the older DD's class one day and teh youngest DD's class the next day. My SO justified it as( i was going to try and get my docs to let me go back to work once they both were in school) it will be hard to get a PT job for the hours you would need and what happens when they are sick you will need to take time off and then risk losing that job. He said we are financially ok right now for you to be able to stay home and be there for them when they need you and my responce was liek that of another mom about wanting to get out of teh house and that is why i will volunteer at the school in their classes. cont...
    Disneymom1218

Answer by Disneymom1218 at 11:39 AM on Feb. 9, 2009

• Cont... it will aslo get my foot in the door to be able to possibly apply the following year when they are in 1st and second grade as a teacher's aide.
    Disneymom1218

• i run a PT photography business. my kids are 4, 2, and 1 and i am pregnant with our 4th. we are not sure yet if we plan to homeschool or send our kids to school, but either way i don't plan on getting a FT job. my "job" as a wife and mother doesn't end just because the kids are away at school. there is still just as much cooking, cleaning, and laundry to do. i also think it's very important to be home when my kids leave for school and when they get home. there are just not many jobs that fit that time slot.
    fluud7

Answer by fluud7 at 11:57 AM on Feb. 9, 2009

• I'm hoping to go back once my youngest is in school but I have 4 more years to go. If I don't go back I will volunteer at the school and if I want to stay home I will. We can afford for me to stay home but I have a long time before that decision needs to be made.

Anonymous

• I started out slow when my youngest went to preschool..I worked there. Then as she went off to school I got a part time job. It is nice because it gives you something to do and some money and yet leaves you time with your kids.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 12:21 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• When my youngest goes to kindergarten, I hope to get a job in the school district. That way I have the same days off as them and am home at the same time.
    MrsT6102

Answer by MrsT6102 at 12:45 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• I am considering becoming a consultant and selling things. I have had friends who sold Tupperware, Pampered Chef, etc. Any one do that? Do you make much?
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 1:09 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• My kids are going to be homeschooled, so I'll stay home. But even if they went to school I would stay home and just schedule to teach some CPR classes here and there for extra money.
    MommyAddie

Answer by MommyAddie at 1:10 PM on Feb. 9, 2009