How can I get my step son to go to bed?

My step son has recently developed a sleeping problem. Every night at bed time he cries. He starts saying that he misses people and that is why he doesn't want to go to bed. He will cry for hours. We have made it a point that his mom and dad spend as much time with him as possible before bed time and yet he still cries and says that he misses everyone even people he hardly knows. No matter what we do he still won't go to bed. We have tried reading to him, we have tried rewarding him the next day for going to bed with out any problems, we have tried lotions, and nothing seems to work. Any advice?

ntoureau

Asked by ntoureau at 11:21 AM on Feb. 9, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Has he lost anyone close to him recently? I think maybe he has some hormonal issues going on. Try doing vigorous exercise with him about 2 hours before bed. Many times their sleep schedules will change for a while and he could be overstimulated. The exercise will help with him, he will be so tired... Good luck. Other than that, give him a book and say goodnight. He is old enough to stay in bed quietly and read.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:29 AM on Feb. 9, 2009