What are the requirments for my DH to adopt my kids?

My husband is my kids' father inside and out. We want him to adopt my kids. But i have not been in contact with the BF in over a year and I want to keep it that way. I know he wouldnt sign over rights anyway. My question is, can we do the adoption without him. my divorce lawer once said that if the BF is out of the picture for a year that its possible. We are in Pennsylvania.

dearone07

Asked by dearone07 at 11:26 AM on Feb. 9, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• It's going to depend on your state law. I would call the divorce lawyer who said that it would be possible and find out how.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 11:52 AM on Feb. 9, 2009

• You definitely need to check with a lawyer - I think this stuff varies from state to state. I would be VERY surprised if your husband could legally adopt the children without the biodad's consent. UNLESS his rights have been taken away, legally, for some reason.
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 11:52 AM on Feb. 9, 2009

• good luck girl, i've been trying to find someone to do adoption, but paternity hasn't even been established. either way you go, it's very hard and very expensive. just keep at it.....every state has different laws
    love.life

Answer by love.life at 12:39 PM on Feb. 9, 2009