What are the signs to look for before daughter starts her cycle?

Physical changes? My daughter is 12 1/2. Thanks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:27 AM on Feb. 9, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• The only one I know of is this, they say that a girl gets her period about 2 years after her breasts start growing.
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 11:29 AM on Feb. 9, 2009

• With my two daughters the only sign I got of their monthlies was their stained undies but their was no freaking out because I'd been talking to them about it for a long time ahead of time. Have you talked to her about it? Even if she doesn't come to you immediately when it happens it's better to hear it will happen from mom in addition to friends than only from friends.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:38 AM on Feb. 9, 2009

• Growing breast and hair growth.
    jenniferlee_12

Answer by jenniferlee_12 at 11:43 AM on Feb. 9, 2009

• Breast and hair growth are the only signs their doctor told me about. The mood changes were there the day they were born.LOL.
    It also depends on family history not just moms but dads side of the family too. Talk to you family to see what the average age is for them to start thier period.
    BLACKBUTTERFLY1

Answer by BLACKBUTTERFLY1 at 12:04 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• I think every girl is different. My 12 year old has been growing boobs for about 2 plus years and has pubic hair, and horrible mood swings and still no period. I was 11 my mom was 10 so I am sure it's coming. My daughter has even spotted but no real period yet.
    brandid

Answer by brandid at 4:53 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• I agree with Brandid... My daughter blossomed over night, but I have a dance student who has been dragging and dragging we keep thinking her time is coming she has boobs and everything but no period! She also has mood swings and the attitude again no period. We been waiting on her for two years now. I don't think there is any real warning when it is coming but, I did read that some girls might have pinkish spots before they will start.
    TheFriskyKitty

Answer by TheFriskyKitty at 1:53 AM on Feb. 10, 2009

• There are general "guidelines" but they are not written in stone and it doesn't always happen exactly the same way. I mean, you can't start a clock when you first notice breast development and figure out a date their periods will start. You are probably noticing some things now, and that is why you are asking now...?
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 12:28 PM on Feb. 14, 2009