help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

does anyone work in a nursing home? i am asking cuz we had to put my father in a nursing home on friday and on saturday my sister called me frantic my mother had called her and told her that my father fell out of his bed at the home and hit his head. well needless to say i called the home to find out what was going on and asked why they didn't have rails on his bed as he is a fall risk . they told me it is against the law for them to have rails on the bed. i have never heard such a thing just wondering if this is true?

jodi205

Asked by jodi205 at 11:27 AM on Feb. 9, 2009 in Just for Fun

• jodi205, call a lwayer baby, every state is different and maybe some crazy lawmaker did do that, maybe bringing him home is a good idea.
    Anonymous

• If that were true they wouldn't have rails on hospital beds. Sounds like a crappy nursing home to me.
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 11:28 AM on Feb. 9, 2009

• Get a lawyer's opinion or call Eldercare in your county or state. That's a bunch of crap. He needs to be monitored more closely. Maybe they meant in their eyes his doctor has to order rails up all the time or certain times? I'd be real careful!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:32 AM on Feb. 9, 2009

• Ok I dont work in one anymore but I have for years.. It is not agianst the law to have rails on a bed it is actually mandatory for a fall risk to have a bed alarm and both rails up at all times.. Plus when he is up in a chair he should also have an alarm on.. So if he does decide to stand up it alerts everyone... What the hell are they thinking That makes me mad... Sorry... If you have any other questions let me know
    lotus1216

Answer by lotus1216 at 11:32 AM on Feb. 9, 2009

• No , its not true . I have worked at nursing homes and we have put up the rails for protection. You need to ask to speak to the head person of the home .If that person gives you the run around I would turn them in to the state . Alot of nursing homes are closed down due to their neglect on the elderly .
    katherine4

Answer by katherine4 at 11:33 AM on Feb. 9, 2009

• thats what i thought too fees the dumb bitch had the nerve to tell me that too many people had killed themselves on the rails oh as apposed to falling out of bed on the floor i am trying to get him transferred to a different home.
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 11:33 AM on Feb. 9, 2009

• Oh my god jodi I am so sorry. I know that the nursing home my grandmother was just in, they had rails on the beds. I don't know about any laws or anything but that seems crazy!! I would get him transferred and look into suing them for f'n negligence! That is just ridiculous!

CarieP

Answer by CarieP at 11:43 AM on Feb. 9, 2009

• Jodi girl you need to talk to those nurses. I feel so bad for your dad. I hope you work and resolve the problem, because they are jerks..
    jareda69

Answer by jareda69 at 11:47 AM on Feb. 9, 2009

• well i am like i said trying to get him transferred but i have to go to this so called nursing home tomorrow so they are going to see a side of me that is not going to be too impressive.
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 11:51 AM on Feb. 9, 2009

• Good for you.My friend in FLorida did the same thing and had her mom transferred to another facility.GL girl, it will work out.
    jareda69

Answer by jareda69 at 11:54 AM on Feb. 9, 2009