My 17 month old son who has DS, wants nothing to do with a sippy cup. Does anyone have any ideas on how to get him off h=the bottle?

jlcarp

Asked by jlcarp at 11:31 AM on Feb. 9, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my daughter wanted nothing to do with a sippy either.. Then I found these sippy cups with a silicone spout.. And she drinks out of those... I cant remember who makes them I found them at walgreens in a pack 2 for $3.00 and also at Target in a pack 2 for $6.00.. I hope this helps
    lotus1216

Answer by lotus1216 at 11:38 AM on Feb. 9, 2009

• Maybe get him cups that have something he loves on them. Like "cars" or spiderman or something he likes. Let him go to the store with you and pick them out and make a point to get rid of all the bottles so there anrent anymore. Let him go through the kitchen with you and gather all the bottles, let him put them in the bag and "get rid of them". Then explain that now he gets to use his new big boy cups and make him happy about it, by saying things like, "go show daddy what a big boy you are with you new cup".
    asholan_07

Answer by asholan_07 at 11:38 AM on Feb. 9, 2009

• i agree with both responses, he doesnt like change right, so maybe one night take all the bottles and tell him your giving them to the babies who need bottles, and then give him a soft nipple sippy cup maybe let him pick it out
    havingaboy08

Answer by havingaboy08 at 11:44 AM on Feb. 9, 2009

• The cups with the silicone spout are Nuk... they've got tall ones to, so it's kind of bottle-esque.
    sfwilson

Answer by sfwilson at 11:48 AM on Feb. 9, 2009

• GET THE SOFT SPOUT SIPPY CUP AND LET HIM HAVE BOTH. THEN YOU SLOWLY TAKE THE BOTTLES OUT OF THE PICTURE. DON'T TAKE IT FROM HIM ALL AT ONCE. IF YOU DO THAT YOU WON'T BE ABLE TO SLEEP. HE WILL KEEP YOU AWAKE ALL NIGHT. THE BOTTLE IS A HABBIT AND YOU HAVE TO BRAKE IT SLOWLY. BE PATIENT AND WAIT FOR HIM TO LET GO.
    GOOD LUCK.
    BLACKBUTTERFLY1

Answer by BLACKBUTTERFLY1 at 11:54 AM on Feb. 9, 2009

• Throw away the bottles. He will be forced to drink out of the sippy or a regular cup.

Answer by louise2 at 12:13 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• To help the transition, only give him water in bottles. If he wants juice or milk, give them in a sippy cup.
    jillmw

Answer by jillmw at 12:14 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• Maybe ask your self why.

My son did a combo of sippy cup and bottle for about a year...he was over 2 years old (I'm not exactly sure when...I just remember he was in developmental preschool) and still used the bottle. At some point between ages 2 and 3 he gave up the bottle. Because we waited, it was really a non issue. THe bottle gave him comfort and I wasn't in a hurry to take that away.

Remember that your child may be 17 months old, but developmentally he's not that old....would you want to take a bottle away from a younger child? Our kids are not like typical kids, so what works for a typical toddler might not work for your son.

Another thing to consider is his fluid intake. THe reason we didn't push the issue was that my son had issues with taking in enough fluids and becomming constipated. I would rather him use a bottle to get the liquid he needed.

PS...my son also has DS :-)
    SanDiegoMaxMom

Answer by SanDiegoMaxMom at 12:25 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• Start with softer spout bottles.
    Gerber has some soft spots; Gerber NUKs are good too, so are the Nubys. Both the Gerber ones have 2 handles that might be easier. The Nubys I found don't seal as well (my personal opinion).

My suggestion is to try it when he's hungry or thirsty, but not STARVING -- 'cause then he'll get frustrated more easily.

Or maybe try a straw. My son liked straws better.
    Squirrell34

Answer by Squirrell34 at 12:55 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• I just asked a very similar question over the weekend and was given a lot of good answers.
    I hope you don't have any negativity like I did. Being called lazy and being told I'm a bad parent by a JLYNN. Who has 7 kids - her first one at 16. - She had them all off bottles very young and couldn't imagine having them still with a bottle at this age. I reported her. So I hope she stops.
    Good luck ~ I'm still struggling with this issue too.
    Angkay07

Answer by Angkay07 at 1:15 PM on Feb. 9, 2009