c-section question

My doctor told me that because of my size (under 5' and weighed 100lbs when I got pregnant) that my chances for needing a c-section are a bit higher...I am ok with the c-section but I'm TERRIFIED of getting the spinal!! Am I crazy? Can anyone who's had one tell me what it was like? I'm no good with pain...
Thanks so much!

stepmom929

Asked by stepmom929 at 12:00 PM on Feb. 9, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It wasn't bad at all. I was very relaxed when they did it and it only took a minute and then it took effect almost immediately! It felt good, except I kept having the feeling I needed to move my legs and feet, but I couldn't which drove me NUTS!!!!

Navymama

Answer by Navymama at 12:05 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• You are numbed first, it doesn't really hurt. Feeling paralyzed is scary - and then you get a tingly feeling as your body wakes back up. Not a walk in the park - but thank goodness it's available!
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 12:05 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• I had three epidurals a bit similar to spinals. All three times I leaned on a mobile tray with a nurse supporting me. But I know women who've had either lying down on their sides. Ask a nurse to support you and focus on a part of her clothing and just keep breathing out, when done breath out again long and slow. It eases the hurt of it. It's all worth it though to get that baby.
    Anonymous

• Honey, it feels a lot better than hard labor. Don't worry:)
    cristie1276

Answer by cristie1276 at 12:13 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• I had a spinal twice. With my 3rd baby he was stillborn and I was soo nervous and scared, they gave me something that made me soo high and kinda sleepy so I couldn't feel the spinal. I was up for the delivery but kinda dozed when they gave me the spinal. My last pregnancy(4th) they put me to sleep
    kyheavensmom

Answer by kyheavensmom at 12:13 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• You get a local to numb the area before the spinal is given and you shouldn't be able to feel anything. I couldn't. I only felt a little sting when they gave me the local.
    bethmc02

Answer by bethmc02 at 12:17 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• Find a different doctor. Small women have babies all the time. He's already setting you up for unnecessary major abdominal surgery. Please read this article:

http://www.midwiferytoday.com/articles/pelvis.asp

PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 12:20 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• Thanks for you answers! I feel much less scared now.
    PhilsBabyMama - He isn't pushing for me to have one or anything, I asked him about it and he said that the risk is a little higher, but he also said the biggest baby he ever delivered was from a mom my size!
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 12:25 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• I've had 3 Csections. All were planned (one, I had a day's notice... the others I knew from the beginning). I have never had a spinal or epidural. I have heard & read stories and known FAR too many people personally to have negative experiences with them ---- everything from them not taking full effect to permanent nerve damage. It was not worth the risk for me. I CHOSE to go under general anesthesia all 3 times. (contrary to popular belief -- you DO have the right to choose)
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 12:46 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• Oh I know you have the right to choose and I did. I CHOOSE spinal!!!! =) I can handle a lot of pain but if I have my choice I don't want to feel the pain. OP-I know you know you could deliver vaginally and do whatever you think is best for you. You can always try vaginal and if it doesn't work they will switch to a C which is what happened with my DD, I only got an epidural with her and am so glad with my planned C with my DS that I got the spinal!!!

Navymama

Answer by Navymama at 12:49 PM on Feb. 9, 2009