Do you think it is ok for a 11 year old to use nair?

my daughter wants to try it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:16 PM on Feb. 9, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• I don't see a big deal. She needs to learn how to use it properly, it is a chemical.

mommiedear

Answer by mommiedear at 12:19 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• it shouldn't hurt just watch her while she uses it, I was 11 when i started shaving my legs although nair didn't exist back then.
    workenmom

Answer by workenmom at 12:20 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• I'd be afraid of the chemicals in Nair. That stuff is potenet smelling. I bought my daughter an electric razor last year when she was 11 because I wasn't ready to deal with a real razor yet. It was rechargeable and could be used with water and shaving cream or soap. It cost about $20 at Target. She did pretty well with that, and this year she moved on to regular disposable razors.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 12:23 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• I first asked my mom if I could shave the summer before 5th grade, and she wouldn't let me shave, but she let me use the nair :P BUT the nair really irritated my legs, so ended up using a razor anyway. I think 11 is a good age =]
    SandraB383

Answer by SandraB383 at 12:23 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• I think Nair has been around since the early seventies, and they have improved it quite a bit but it still has a very harsh chemical smell and can burn if you get it on your hands for prolonged amounts of time. I would just go with a elctric shaver as a pp suggested.
    lilymama03

Answer by lilymama03 at 2:36 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• Personally, I don't think it is good for ANYONE to use. A chemicals that disolves your hair? Not a good idea. esp on younger (more sensitive skin).
    Kiter

Answer by Kiter at 3:37 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• I wouldn't use the chemicals. She could have a reaction to them. They are very strong and should be left for later. Get her a good razor. My daughter likes the ones with the shaving cream around them. Venus makes one and I believe gilette does too (I could be wrong on the last one). There are two different kinds.
    yakara77

Answer by yakara77 at 4:10 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• I let my daughter use that, because she thought it would be better than a razor. I also thought it would be safer than getting cut. She used it once. She said it burned and now uses a razor. I would warn her that nair burns to get the hair out.
    brandid

Answer by brandid at 4:48 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• I do not think that 11 years old is really that mature enough to seriously use something of a chemical, a razor is scary enough. I think twelve they are more mature and likely to be more serious and responsible.
    TheFriskyKitty

Answer by TheFriskyKitty at 1:50 AM on Feb. 10, 2009

• My DD wanted to try it last summer (at age 9). I didn't have a problem with that, but make sure you put it away! She decided she didn't like her widow's peak and tried to Nair it off!! Now she has stubble at her hairline! LOL! Live and learn!
    franknbellesmom

Answer by franknbellesmom at 10:41 AM on Feb. 10, 2009