How much tea tree oil do I use to get rid of lice?

How much do I put on my head, and in my shampoo?

candycrary

Asked by candycrary at 8:38 PM on Jul. 22, 2008 in Beauty & Style

• The following treatment for removal of head lice is recommended: Add five to ten drops of pure tea tree oil to a shampoo and wash the child's hair, massaging the mixture thoroughly into the scalp. Do this every day until the eggs are removed. In between shampoos, a few drops of the oil can be massaged into the scalp. Do not rinse out. To help sterilize and prevent further lice infestation, brushes, combs, bedding and towels may be soaked in a tea tree oil solution of 1/4 oz. of oil added to a tub of water. You may also spray a dilution of tea tree oil in the clothes hamper to help control infestation.
    AllisNow

Answer by AllisNow at 8:46 PM on Jul. 22, 2008

• Get one of those metal picks from the drug store. The plastic ones don't work worth a diddly, if you know what I mean. But the metal ones get all the lice AND the eggs out.
    jenettyshome

Answer by jenettyshome at 8:50 PM on Jul. 22, 2008

• Shampoo your hair with Paul Mitchel Tea Tree Shampoo first, lice hate that, then use the regular tea tree oil all over your hair. Basically, saturate your hair with it and try to leave it on for one day. Make sure to do the same thing two weeks later also. And if you use the Paul Mitchel Tea Tree Shampoo one or two times a week after that , you'll never have to worry about lice again. Good Luck.
    Mrs_Bonsta

Answer by Mrs_Bonsta at 10:58 PM on Jul. 22, 2008

• I've done a bit more research on the Tea Tree Oil.....it's not proven to get rid of them, lice just don't like it. It's probably best you use some treatment such as RID or Nix. I have also read up on some interesting home remedies (Listerine & Vinigar) Kinda odd, but some swear by it.

Tea tree oil will be your prevention for re-infestation since the lice dislike it so much.
    KennyandNani

Answer by KennyandNani at 12:12 AM on Jul. 23, 2008

• I do know of a brand of shampoo that has pure tea-tree oil in it and it is much less expensive than Paul Mitchel - anyone can just PM me for info
    livewell

Answer by livewell at 9:16 AM on Jul. 23, 2008