My 4 month old and 2 year old coughing for weeks. Help!!

Every since the weather has changed, last year around october (which is around the time my son was born) my two babies have been sick with an off and on again cough. I can't tell you how many times I've sent both to the pediatrician to get them checked out. It's been too many times. And every time I feel like I am just not getting the right answers. They say it could be the change of weather or allergies or even a virus going around. They both cough a lot especially at night and early in the morning. We just recently found out that my daughter probably is allergic to cow's milk. She has a dry cough. So we took her off dairy completely, and started giving her soy instead. That helped a lot. So i did the same with my son. His breathing has a rattling sound. Well he completely vomited his first bottle of soy. Vomited til it turned yellow. Turns out he's allergic to soy? I'm at wits end with this. Someone please help!!

Mariel83

Asked by Mariel83 at 12:17 PM on Feb. 9, 2009 in Kids' Health

• Have the doctors run a full allergy blood panel on the kids to check for true allergies ? This way you can know if foods are really causing coughs. My son is prone to bronchitis and we found out after a million episodes of it, it was due to food allergies to dairy/eggs.

Also have you tried children's zyrtec on the oldest for a week or so and see if that makes a difference. Make sure to get the one for 2+, not the 6+.

Another thing is are they in daycare, or constantly around other sick kids ? I mean if they get better but that are back out playing with a kid with another cough...bam...sick again KWIM ? I just tell people now straight foward that if their kids are sick then I would prefer to wait to hang out.

Dunno just some random thoughts. Maybe something there will help.
    Anonymous

• Take them back to the doctor and have them check the kids for a sinus infection and acid reflux. Both of these would cause coughing through the night and in the morning. I have had kids that suffer from both. The treatments are very simple, one is special liquid medication for the stomach, the other is a combination treatment the doctor can tell you about. Make them understand that there really is a problem and don't leave without an answer.

You may have to be very nasty to get the needs of your children met in this situation.
    yakara77

Answer by yakara77 at 4:46 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• I would definitely try the full allergy blood panel. I guess that's the only way i will know for sure. And i have thought of sinus infection before but I think that that is normally accompanied by chills or a fever and neither of my kids have had fevers. And my baby doesn't seem to be in any discomfort or pain. Then again he's such a cheery and happy baby. As for acid reflux, i will definitely look into it. I never thought of that before.

Hopefuly I can find the children's Zyrtec here in my country, probably only the generic brand. Your answers have helped a lot. Thanks a lot.
    Mariel83

Answer by Mariel83 at 10:13 AM on Feb. 10, 2009

• My sons would cough and cough - I had to give breathing treatments until:

my kids were always sick - this year they are less sick. I give them 1 oz of bb - a whole food liquid organic supplement. Endorced by over 6000 doctors - I haven't had to give them breathing treatments in 9 + months and my middle son suffered from chronic diahrea since he was 1 1/2 and he has gained 2 lbs in 3 mon. and is 95% better.

my web-site www.Healthy4body.com I give them 1 oz a day. there is also a live doctors call every thursday night - I can give you that information as well just pm me.

I also had 15 years of abnormal paps - I just got a normal one. I have been taking 4 oz for 11 mo.

Sandy
    nma928

Answer by nma928 at 1:05 AM on Feb. 21, 2009