How concern would you be? RE: ADHD

My second grader is on Focalin XR 5mg. I don't like that my child is on medication but at first it seemed to work but just last week I had a meeting with the school regarding my child's grades (I met with councelor, teacher, speech therapist) they all were concerned but I never told them my child was on this medication for fear that they will label my child. So I called the doctor to see if they can higher the dose.
I pray that it will help with everything in school. I just don't know what else to do.
Thank you.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:17 PM on Feb. 9, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My son was diagnosed with adhd when he wasyounger and heres a tip. Sometimes the medications only work for a short time and no longer. It means the medication is wrong for your child. Ask the doctor for a new med. You may have to try 2 or 3 before you find the one that works.

Answer by gemgem at 12:20 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• Kids can develop a resistence to ADHD medication. This doesn't mean it is the wrong med, just that their bodies have built a tolerance. In this case, the meds should be raised by the doctor. He or she will tell you when they can't raise anymore.

Also, what therapies do you use besides meds. Meds are a means to help control symptoms, but they don't impart skills. I would suggest getting a book on ADHD and try some of the therapies suggested. Behavior modification and a strict schedule can make a huge difference to a child with ADHD.

Also, talk to your doctor about biofeedback therapy. Some insurances cover it. This method uses video games and a special device to train your child to pay better attention. It has had great results.
    yakara77

Answer by yakara77 at 4:25 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• I know you don't want the school to "label" your child, but this is something they need to know about. ADHD medications can be very helpful, but they are very serious drugs and can have serious side effects that they should know to look for. Remember, the time period when these drugs are actually in his system is while he is in school. Also, the school can test him and see if his ADHD will qualify him for an IEP, which will provide for extra supports in the classroom to help him succeed. They can't properly help him get what he needs to learn if they aren't made aware of his problem. You would be surprised how many children have ADHD these days, and how many are on medication or some other form of treatment. The school, if they are any good, will not treat your son differently, but just might be able to adapt their classroom teaching style in order to help him. Give them a chance to help him before judging them.
    romeece

Answer by romeece at 8:30 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• My son is 7.5 and he has A.D.D/A.D.H.D and for about a month or little longer he has been on Stratarra a NON-STiMULANT MED,meaning a non addicting med and he has improved a lot in school, he,s in special ed and regular class,speech theropy and in all areas he has improved.Just an idea for you to try,, the lowest mg is 10 then theres 18mg[my son on this one], the most side affect is abdominal pain,he takes it at 8pm/with light snack and does not complane of pain. I was not fond of any med but this has helped him quite a bit.Maybe try it.
    momindistress08

Answer by momindistress08 at 3:54 AM on Mar. 14, 2009