• In the Spotlight:

Advice on setting up toddler room...

My 14mo son is starting to climb. He will be climbing out of his crib soon, which is a falling hazard. We know we'll need a toddler bed soon.

We live in a 2 floor house, and the upstairs stairwell does not have a place to put a baby gate. Currently, we can leave the door open to his room because he's safe in there.

My concern is when he needs a toddler bed. He will have the ability to get up & move around -- and possible out the door & down a flight of stairs.

Should I put up a baby gate in his doorway? I have heard people say locking children in their room is a fire hazard.

This is not to keep him in his room while we sleep longer, it is to keep him from getting into something he shouldn't -- sleepwalking or night waking and stay safe. His room is fully toddler-proofed, so the baby gate is an ideal solution if it is not a hazard -- but want to see what others have done.

Squirrell34

Asked by Squirrell34 at 12:27 PM on Feb. 9, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I think gating off the room when the stairs cannot be gated off is absolutely an appropriate use of a baby gate.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 12:29 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• I think the baby gate is a great idea. We used a baby gate for a little while. This way his bedroom door is still open, you can hear him but he is safe in his room!
    frapanda

Answer by frapanda at 12:32 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• There is nothing wrong with putting a baby gate up in his door.
    lilbit837

Answer by lilbit837 at 12:40 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• a baby gate is a great idea but also remember if he has started to climb make sure to have all furniture attached to walls
    ckmom0612

Answer by ckmom0612 at 12:58 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• Please don't take offense, but I think that you might want to rethink the toodler bed all together. When you move such a young toddler to a bed too soon it seems like sometimes a good sleeping child ends up all the time. It is actually recommended that they stay in the crib until age 3. If he is climbing out I would recommend a crib tent.
    mazonmom

Answer by mazonmom at 1:07 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• The baby gate is a great idea. Just get a good one. Maybe something that bolts into the wall or something and has a good baby proof latch. The one that I have (the wooden ones) my DD has learned that if she uses her whole body she can knock them down. Thank goodnes we have only one floor!
    SandraBeth

Answer by SandraBeth at 2:59 PM on Feb. 9, 2009