How Early Should You Take A Binkie Away From You Child Befor They Get To Attacted?

My Daughter Is 2Mts And She Takes A Binkie For Comfort But I Dont Want To Keep Her On It Should I Just Stop It Now

Arianne88

Asked by Arianne88 at 12:27 PM on Feb. 9, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• do what works best for you. the earlier you take it away the easier it will be. at 2months she is still very young though. my son is 21 months and still has one at bed time. do what works for you two.
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 12:30 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• i never took his binkie away he did it him self by 7 mounths he kept hideing them and would only get them when he wanted it and then by 3 weeks he didnt want it any more
    mom_since08

Answer by mom_since08 at 12:34 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• Honestly I wish I would have taken my sons away sooner. He is now almost 22 months old and more attached to it than ever. I started taking it away at 18 months old, but his father didn't understand why and didn't do the same (just gave it to him whenever he asked for it-while I was trying to just give it to him at nap time and bedtime) so now it is going to be very hard. Whatever works for you, but personally I wish I would have taken it from him at 12 months when he wasn't all that attached to it!!

Anonymous

• my oldest son was 10 month old when he got rid of his he got teeth and cut ia hole in it with his teeth and now my 2nd son he got rid of it right after he was born
    ilovemyson2002

Answer by ilovemyson2002 at 12:46 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• I took mine away frommy daughter right around her first birthday. at two months they still have the need to suck constanly. I think anytime after 6 months is a good plan.
    ckmom0612

Answer by ckmom0612 at 1:13 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• I think they are fine to use until they start trying to talk around 12 mos then restrict it to nap and bed time and I think by the time they are 18-24 mos old they should be gone all the time.
    mrsjvz2

Answer by mrsjvz2 at 1:24 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• You can take it away whenever you want to. Since you've already been giving it to her, though, keep in mind that pacifier use has been shown to reduce the risk of SIDS, so I would keep using it at least while she's sleeping. But that's just me. Maybe only give it to her when you lay her down for a nap or for bed. That's usually the last place most toddlers want to use theirs, so that should make it easier down the road.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 2:06 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• for the first month my son didnt use a binkey i gave him my pinkey, then that just wasnt working for me so i finally got him a soothie binkey, he used it for about a month then one day i just stopped giving it to him and he doesnt act like he ever used one
    MamaMays

Answer by MamaMays at 5:24 PM on Feb. 9, 2009