How important is "All Day Kindergarten" to you?

My son is in Kindergarten and attends a great school. This is the first year for all day kindergarten and it's spectacular. He can read and write sentences and learns to work as a team with his classmates which builds confidence among each other. When he comes home, he is so bright and full of exciting information to share, motivating me to continue his education here at home.

However, as we may all know, the effects of the economic crisis has reached the education system. My son's school district has to budget cut and they are considering doing away with all day kindergarten & revert back to half day. This is sad.
So, I'm doing my best to gather information about how parents feel about this issue. I intend to take this to my Board and try to save the program. Your thoughts will be extremely helpful to the cause. Please help save all day Kindergarten.

Thank You:)

Teena-Bean

Asked by Teena-Bean at 12:30 PM on Feb. 9, 2009 in General Parenting

• I actually prefer half day.

Answer by gemgem at 12:31 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• Sorry --- I'm of no help to you. All-day Kindergarten isn't important to me at all.

I think that --- while it might be great for some kids ---- it's just too much for others. To me, kids at that age need free time to just be kids --- to explore & learn on their own, too.

Having half a day of structured learning & half a day to relax, explore, play, use their imaginations on their own, etc, is a more well-rounded approach, IMO.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 12:34 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• my son is full day kindergarden it helps them when they on to first grade
    ilovemyson2002

Answer by ilovemyson2002 at 12:35 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• I think all day kindergarten is too much for a 5 year old.

mommiedear

Answer by mommiedear at 12:36 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• my son goes to kinder garden all day he will be ready for first grade
    Anonymous

• I love All day Kindergarden! My youngest is currently in all day K-4 which took a lot of getting use to for both of us, but she loves it and is learning soooo much! Plus it is very helpfu for me financially! I was paying $600 a month for daycare for a while.
    amydh

Answer by amydh at 12:38 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• School isnt daycare though.
    Anonymous

• If our school district only offers an all day kindergarten, we will homeschool. I don't agree with it at all, and think it's too much for a child! A child can excel in half day, just as much as whole day if not more because they aren't overwhelmed
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 12:40 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• there are so many things kids are expected to be able to do now - I think all day kindergarten is extremely important.
    Anonymous

• Duh! I know school isn't day care! I hate paying $600 a month for daycare when my child doesn't get anything out of it. In school she is well taken care of and learns something at the same time! I would gladly pay for it if I could afford too.
    amydh

Answer by amydh at 12:44 PM on Feb. 9, 2009