Defragmenting a hard drive?

I did a quick clean and a defragmentation for an assignment in class. I had to do that and then answer some questions. Needless to say, after I did all of that my computer is f*cked(sorry for the word). I about called my instructor and went ape shit. I followed all of the instructions since they were easy so I have no idea what happened? Have you ever done a defragmentation or a clean up?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:35 PM on Feb. 9, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I have done a defragmentation and it never caused any problems on my computer, but I have never heard of a quick clean.
    Sorry that you have been having trouble.
    NewMommyin06

Answer by NewMommyin06 at 12:37 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• I do them every once in a while --- never had that happen, though. Sorry.

Maybe -- and I'm not tech geek, so I can't swear to it --- but maybe you could try a system restore? (*Note: NOT system recovery --- system restore*) I'm not sure if that will fix problems created by a defrag or not ----- but might be worth a try.

If you're running Vista, system restore will only work in safe-mode.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 12:39 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• I do a disk clean-up and defrag once a week or once every 2 weeks. Sometimes when things just aren't running right, I shut down the computer, wait a few minutes and start it up again. It was running real slow today, and after I did that it's been running better. Just a suggestion.
    CookieMom108

Answer by CookieMom108 at 1:09 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• I'm on safe mode right now and for some reason it works a lot better.
    Anonymous

• I've done it before and never had problems. I actually need to do it now... I just moved a bunch of files to my external hard drive, so it's time again.
    Silvertears1275

Answer by Silvertears1275 at 4:13 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• I run CCleaner and clear out the junk once a week. For defrag, its very simple, I have Diskeeper running in automatic mode. Never need to analyze or defrag manually. It defrags even if the drive free space drops below 15%.
    carltonjo

Answer by carltonjo at 9:31 AM on Feb. 10, 2009