Can't seem to budget our money

My husband makes enough money to cover all our expenses, but I still can't seem to make ends meet. Every month we get behind on our bills. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Does anyone know of a web site, book or a program that will get me on track.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:39 PM on Feb. 9, 2009 in Money & Work

• Yep download microsoft money and see if your bank offers online banking. Thats what I use.

Answer by gemgem at 12:47 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• I wish I knew my self I am in the same boat u r. I like to pay my bills on time and my dh likes to pay them when he can but not get to far behind. He would rather not pay a bill so we may enjoy what ever we want to do he says they will get their money and get paid. He gets mad at me because I used to handle the payments for the bills. He tells me that the way I do it yes bills r on time but then we have nothing left for us to do (enjoying what we have earned) we don't need much but he likes to do things as a family. So I just let him be the book keeper. No sweat off my brow :)

Anonymous

• Anon 1250 pm we had that attitude only had money to pay minimum on all debts. We never prepared for a sick child or DH taking a $30-40K pay cut. So when it happened we drained our 401Ks because we had no savings but it was to late and we ended up in bankruptcy. All I am saying is you need to get a say in whether you pay bills or not. Because medical bills that use to not garnish are now skipping the waiting and going right to court. That was one of the reasons we filed because medical bills were going right to garnishments because I would not charge up a mastercard that I didn't have anymore (they look on credit reports to find out what you have)
    Anonymous

• I would write down what you have coming in for the month. If there is any possiblity of it being lower go with that amount. Then write out all your bills in order of importance; food, rent, utilities, car, other bills. Then go down the list and make the budget based off of what you have going in that month. Then don't go off that budget for anything. Break vicious cycles like ATM, going to store for a few items anything that takes extra money.

Anonymous

• The key to getting and keeping a budget is discipline. You have to know how much you have to spend for this and that, and stick with it. You cannot justify spending bill money on a "good time," because that "good time" will last roughly 24 hours whereas paying a bill on time will reap better benefits in the long run.

Start with your essentials (rent/mortgage, phone bills, electricity, water, gas, etc.) and work your way down. Over budget as much as possible, because things like electric and water can fluctuate between months. Be pratical when it comes to grocery, clothes, tolietries shopping. I've seen many people underbudget for those things. You'll eventually find a pattern of where you're spending too much money, and where you'll be able to cut back.
    redmoonintexas

Answer by redmoonintexas at 1:02 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• Come check out the Dave Ramsey group. There are people in there that are willing to help you set up a budget. Plus there is a lot of support to help you keep the budget. If you know there is a problem, you can fix it! Good luck- and I hope to see you in the group :D
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 5:42 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• You can find places to help you budget, and if you are looking for work or training you can find that too on HomeCareerSuccess.com

Take care.

IraqiVetWife

Answer by IraqiVetWife at 6:00 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• I like using http://www.betterbudgeting.com/budgetformsfree.htm
    kittie1919104

Answer by kittie1919104 at 7:15 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• I highly recommend that you read Dave Ramseys book, The Total Money Makeover. It is perfect for people in your situation. It is filled with common sense solutions and it is an easy, humorous read. Also he has a show on Fox Business at 8pm EST, a radio show and there is a group on here called Dave Ramsey Fans that is super!
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 7:46 PM on Feb. 9, 2009