How do you feel about the "War on Drugs"

Do you think it is necessary and helping curb drug use? Is is a waste of resources and unconstitutional? Is it a good idea but needs some fine tuning.

If Obama made you the new Drug Czar, what would you do?

Friday

Asked by Friday at 12:41 PM on Feb. 9, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I think the war on drugs is a good thing. It has helped since its inception with catching illegal drugs and targeting people who sell them and bring them in. I wouldnt accept an appointment from Obama as a Drug Czar so that portion is irrelevant LOL

Answer by gemgem at 12:44 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• I think if the "War on Drugs" ditched it's battle against marijuana, and used the newly available manpower against more serious drugs, it would be much better!
    Anonymous

• I think the war on drugs is a complete failure. We incarcerate nonviolent offenders for ridiculous amount of time. The taxpayers have to pay for that time. I think more time and money should go into education. It's the the heavy restrictions that make drugs so profitable.
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 12:46 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• The war on drugs needs to turn to prevention. We spend lots of $$$$$$ for people who are in jail bc of addiction? And we want to reform them-but offer no rehab?

It doesn't make sense to me. Throwing the junkie in jail is not the answer to this problem.
    Anonymous

• I would Just Say NO.
    akinbottom2

Answer by akinbottom2 at 12:48 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• I would decriminialize drug use, and STOP the "WAR" on drugs...Its only working to kill more innocent lives, including police and innocent kids in the crossfire. Essentially turning some neighborhoods into war zones.
    EDUCATION is key. Provide the same level of education and oppurtunity for ALL kids , rich and poor. and Free Healthcare would go along way in helping too as medical bills are the #1 reason people LOSE their homes!

as Tupac said:
    Instaed of a war on poverty,
    they got a war on drugs
    so the police can bother me

Eliminate poverty and educate our kids then maybe drug use would go DOWN
    sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 1:10 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• Actually the war on drugs IS working. The U.S is allies with Colombia and just extradited Montoya who was the 2nd largest Cartel leader since Pablo Escobar. This man was responsible for brining in 80% of the cocaine that is sold here in the U.S and since his capture cocaine is hard to come by in this country at this point. This would have been possible without the cooperation of both governments. Of course I think we have a serious rise of Meth users and makers here some right in our backyards and thatis a rising problem that now needs addressed. I think that is where I would focus my attention on if I was drug Czar. Rehab programs are generally unsuccessful.
    lilymama03

Answer by lilymama03 at 1:13 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• We need a war on those who harm children. In time the war on drugs would be unnecessary. There would be fewer damaged people using them. The prison population would decline in time as well. Instead we allow pedophiles early release when a prison is over crowded to make sure the non violent drug offender serves their mandatory sentence. I am not shocked by this when it comes to kids we fail as a country. We murder them before birth why would we care about them after they are born.

Anonymous

• When cartels control 80% of the trade its just that control. Once they are out a new one takes its place. As long as its profitable there will be a drug trade.
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 1:19 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• My husband is a cop in one of the most dangerous neighborhoods in NYC. He thinks drugs should be decriminalized, regulated and taxed. A lot of the gang turf wars are fought over illegal drugs and innocent people get caught in the crossfire.

miriamz

Answer by miriamz at 1:19 PM on Feb. 9, 2009