My 13 month old only want to nurse and hardly eats any solids. Should I be concerend?

We try to let him eat what we eat at dinner time and he might take a couple of bites and that's it. If he does seem to like whatever he eats he takes maybe 5 bites and that is it and w/in an hour he'll want to nurse.
Shouldn't he be eating solids alot more by now?

cuteasabutton78

Asked by cuteasabutton78 at 12:55 PM on Feb. 9, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• He's just barely at the age where solid foods are important at all. (12 months) Don't stress. As long as he's nursing and is offered solid foods frequently and he's gaining weight and having wet diapers don't worry. He may be teething or going through a growth spurt as well. Even at 20 months Roo will still cut back on solids and want to just nurse when she's teething or growing. Its fine.
    jaycee1124

Answer by jaycee1124 at 3:07 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• yes at that age they should be eating mostly solids. I would talk to his DR about it. I nursed both my kids more than a year and by that point it was usually only a couple times a day.
    ckmom0612

Answer by ckmom0612 at 12:56 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• He's normal. Some babies eat later than others. Solids are only for practice and shouldn't be a baby's main source for nurtition until 12 months anyway. Keep offering. Eventually baby will learn he likes food. A baby on my old month board didn't eat until 15 months and not very much until about 18 months. He was gaining and healthy and his doctor was not concerned.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 3:47 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• My son's doctor didn't seem to worried either but sometimes you just have to ask other moms to get their opions. My son weighs 23lbs and he's healthy as healthy gets.
    Anonymous