How much did you spend on infertility treatments?

So we really want a bab. We have been trying for 2 years no luck. So we have to go to a infertility doc. My husband doesn't think we could afford it. How much did you end up spending and how did you pay for it? Thanks for your help

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:14 PM on Feb. 9, 2009 in Trying to Conceive

• I never went to a specialist. My OB put me on clomid and that worked after 4 months. 2 doses were 50mg and that was $9 a piece and then they doubled the dose for 2 more months and that just doubled the price.

I was pregnant after my 4th dosage.
    ldsdragonmom

Answer by ldsdragonmom at 1:18 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• We spent around $17,000 from our own savings before we gave up (We tried for 4 years, 6 miscarriages). We adopted new born infant twins from foster care for around $100, the cost of new birth certificates.
    MommyAddie

Answer by MommyAddie at 1:19 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• Do you have health insurance? I'm assuming you do because it wouldn't be wise to have a baby without insurance. Anyway, usually insurance will cover some basic tests to see if anything is wrong. Some states have laws that require insurance companies to pay for fertility treatments, others don't. I'd call your insurance company and see what they'll cover.
    Anonymous

• Yeah we have insurance that cover all the test. My husband tubes are closed they don't know why but the only way we will be able to have a baby is if they do ICSI. I'm will to spend our savings on it but my husband is on the fence mainly because of the economy.
    Anonymous

• I think we spent around $15,000 - $20,000 besides what our insurance covered. We paid from where ever we had the money, and used a short term medical loan for about $5,000. Our clinic had a finance office that could help estimate the cost and tell you about various ways to pay or finance.
    Anonymous

• You should check into a Medical Credit Card I used one call CARE CREDIT. Its for medical use only. But I paid about 500 dollars amonth at first for clolmid, Ovadrel ( a shot), and ultra sounds. I did this for about one year and this was not working so I was going to start IVF and from what I understand that could be around $5,000. Luckly I went in to have a D&C to clean me out before I started this and found out that I was already PG before surgery. Best of luck to you and your husband. If was ya I would just make a apt with a doctor and check out what your payments would have to be after insurance.
    Tris_09

Answer by Tris_09 at 2:34 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• I just started treatment for IVF. My medicine was $7,000 but with my insurance (blue cross blue shield ppo) I only paid $227. My body didn't respond to the medicine like the doctor wanted it too therefore I start the procedure over tomorrow. I had to buy more medicine at $227. The procedure is actually 20,000 so I am thinking I will pay $1000. In October I had a laparoscopy and was bill $15,000, I only had to pay $457. If you have insurance you are good. If not you can always finance. Good Luck and keep us posted.
    Cassey
    cassey522

Answer by cassey522 at 8:00 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• Not all insurance covers as well as Cassey522's Blue Cross Blue Shield. Mine covered really well for all the testing, but the only procedure it covered was iui. It didn't cover ant meds at all, and those cost me around $5,000 per cycle. When I called the insurance company to ask what exactly was covered they just read my policy to me (I could do that on my own), but they couldn't explain any of it. I had better luck getting answers about what exactly my insurance covered from the fertility clinic than I did from the insurance company.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:44 AM on Feb. 10, 2009

• Try to get pre-authorization to find out what will be covered. Fortunately, my insurer covered it all, except co-pays. They even paid for travel to one of their "Centers for Excellence" in NYC. Always ask the insurer up front to avoid any surprises.
    Anonymous

• Lets see I just had surgery in dec. and I have blue cross blue shield...and the total cost of my surgery was $5468.00 and I had to pay $272.00... i had a laproscopy...hysterscopy...dnc...and dye injected into my tubes...now i am on my first round of clomid and that will run me right around $20.00 if not less.... i have now been ttc for a year and a month good luck momma
    brice08

Answer by brice08 at 11:54 PM on Feb. 11, 2009