Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Please help?

I got a restraing order on my ex but they were unable 2 serve it because they were unable to find were he lives. I want to move out of the state in a few months and i am not sure should i just move or try to go threw the court because i do not even no where his father is and his mom is telling the police she doesnt no where he is at either which is a lie. Will i get in trouble if i just leave even if i have not had any contact with his father in almost a month now?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 1:17 PM on Feb. 9, 2009 in Relationships

Answers (2)
  • Well I don't know the laws of the state you are in but if you have a court order from a divorce or child custody you better read it & make sure that it doesn't say you can't move. Most of the time it doesn't but sometimes it does & then sometimes it says you have to give him notice. All that means is sending him a letter to his last known address. If you don't have a court order then you should be able to go where you want until you go to court. You might want to check with a lawyer where you live to make sure the laws are the same. They should be able to tell you over the phone without going in the office.

    Answer by momwifelove at 1:32 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

  • wow this is a tuff one... technically I want to say yes. But use your common sense. I don't know what the laws are where you live, but here in VA you just have to make sure that your son's father HAS your current contact information. You don't need to keep in contact with him. If I were in your situation, I would move. Then choose a trustworthy friend that is perferibly a guy, maybe even a family member depending on how unsafe this guy is. Give your child's father that person's contact information. That way, if he needs to contact you, he can contact that person and that person can contact you. It may seem extreme having all communication through a third party, but if he dosen't like it OH WELL! You've done your part. You should really read up on the law's in your state. Also try looking up free legal advice and talk to someone about your situation. Hang in there!

    Answer by AlleyK at 1:36 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.