Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Please help?

I got a restraing order on my ex but they were unable 2 serve it because they were unable to find were he lives. I want to move out of the state in a few months and i am not sure should i just move or try to go threw the court because i do not even no where his father is and his mom is telling the police she doesnt no where he is at either which is a lie. Will i get in trouble if i just leave even if i have not had any contact with his father in almost a month now?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 1:18 PM on Feb. 9, 2009 in General Parenting

Answers (5)
  • I'm not sure what you should do, I just wanted to say "good luck."

    Answer by MommyAddie at 1:23 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

  • If he has visitation rights then yes it can be turned around on you for just leaving. I suggest you petition the courts and get an attorney too even though you don't need one.


    Answer by Anonymous at 1:40 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

  • I would go to the court and write some kind of motion to move, if you move with out the dad knowing, it will be trouble. My husband and I went through this with his ex, she moved without telling us and we had him ever weekend. and now we have primary residency of him. They almost put kidnapping charges on her, but once again she weaseled her way out of it. You just want to be safe, go to court, if he doesn't show, then it's his loss and you are free to do what you want. Good luck, I've been sown a similar road, my best advice is to always be honest, because the good guy always wins, may take time, but it's true.

    Answer by MrsG423 at 1:59 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

  • The laws vary from one jurisdiction to another. I would want to check with the local authorities and know that I was not violating the laws.

    Answer by NannyB. at 2:10 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

  • Your best bet is to go through the courts that way he can't try to charge you with parental kidnapping, unless it is in the custody agreement that you can't move out of the state without his permission then you shouldn't have any problems.

    Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 6:38 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.