How is it possible to not gain any weight?

I am confused by women who say they've gained no weight since becoming pregnant, esp. because the baby/placenta/fluid all weight about 20 lbs. total. Does this mean some women actually lose weight? I don't understand how this is possible.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:21 PM on Feb. 9, 2009 in Pregnancy

• They are overweight to begin with and the stress on their body is causing them to lose weight.
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 1:24 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• One instance is if there is sickness involved, my sister in law was sick all the time and actually lost weight during her pregnancies. I was concerned for the babies thinking will they be healthy, but they are all fine and tees right now. I would think it would also depend on the metabolism of the mother and her eating habits.

Peace, <>
    JoyceTN

Answer by JoyceTN at 1:26 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• yea i am 8 1/2 mts pregnant and been losing weight i am not a skinny person by no means but im not huge either but i dont understand it either im only like 50 lbs over weight so it dont hurt me i wanted to lose it anyways lol but my doctor said i would be lucky to gain 15lbs but its from where im losing my own fat but the baby is still healthy and is gaining weight right so i dont mind lol
    Mother_18

Answer by Mother_18 at 1:28 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• I don't gain because food makes me sick(I don't vomit, It just makes me queasy) so I eat less. So yes, I guess I actually lose.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 1:29 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• I guess its possible if they are sick the whole time. I myself have only gained 10lbs and am 22 wks. The 10lbs has been in the last month or so. I am not overweight, nor am I skinny. I'm not one to worry about what I eat so much so I'm not sure what happened. And since then I still haven't gained anymore. We'll see at my next appointment at the end of the month. W/ my son I gained 35lbs, but gained so much every month. It is wierd how it is different for everyone and how each pregnancy is different.
    Tiffany237

Answer by Tiffany237 at 1:50 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• I agree it's possible but only if you're sick. I just started to gain some weight recently and I'm 37 weeks. I prob only gained about 20lbs the entire time which means I lost weight while the baby gained weight.
    pinkbutterfly

Answer by pinkbutterfly at 2:13 PM on Feb. 9, 2009