daughter, 6, masturbation

My daugther is 6 and for about a year now, she touches her self. All the time. It doesn't matter if someone is in the room, even though we repeatedly tell her that it is private. She says it feels good. I tell her it is to be done in private EVERY TIME. Isn't she way too young to be having these feelings?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:03 PM on Feb. 9, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• As strange as it might sound No she is just exploring her body, but you are correct to keep on top of her to do this privately.

Just tell her it is not appropriate to do this in front of people, Do you ever see anyone else doing this? Just keep reminding her. And don't make it sound like a bad thing either. GL

Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 2:09 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• No its not strange. Around that age is when they start exploring their body parts and sexuality. I think we are all familiar with "playing doctor" its the same concept. What you need to do is pick her up and move her into her room when she does it and tell her to stay in there if shes goingto touch herself because its bad manners to do in front of others. Explain to her its the same as picking your boogers and eating it. No one wants to see it even though we know everyone at some point in their life has done it.

Answer by gemgem at 2:11 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• Are you for certain that no one is touching her?

While it is normal to explore, masterbation at an early age can be a sign of other things that are going on.
    Anonymous

• She's saying it feels good. It is what she says. She doesn't realize or think it's sexual...(right?) You are doing the right thing by telling her it's private. I agree that it's important that she not feel ashamed about it...it's ok, long as she keeps it private.
    good2me

Answer by good2me at 2:22 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• No one has ever touchd her, my daugther is so honest and open, she would have told me. I always know where she is, and that is with me or at school. That isn't anything I am worried about, it just seems she needs to be more private. She is getting better and I did tell her that it is normal, but no one wants to see her do this. I worry she is maturing too fast.
    Anonymous

• I think it is normal, but keep telling her it is her private parts and to only do it alone in her room. I have had this issue with my son (8 now still does it sometimes) he has been doing it since he was 5. I think some people are more sensitive down there. Anyways, I didn't want to shame him but I had to tell him that it is a private thing and if his friends or others saw him it would be embarrassing because it is only in private, alone. Another thing is he is very hyper and always has to be doing something, so when he is bored or watching tv, he does it more. Try to get her out of the situations where she is doing it most. If she does it while watching tv, then try to reduce the time she watches tv, have her go outside or something. Maybe get her some activity/sticker books so she can do something else with her hands than touch herself. I know, it is hard!
    Anonymous

• psych 101, yes it is normal, keep reminding her this is something that is done in private, it is a stage and it will pass, like the other moms have said Dont make her feel bad or ashamed about it, it could coause long term sexual damage when she is older.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 4:22 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• My 8 year old does it too. Mostly on the toilet or in her bedroom. She understands that the areas covered by a bathing suit are private and not for others to see. so I don't mind too much.
    Eddy_G

Answer by Eddy_G at 6:11 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• Thank you so much for helping me realize my daugther is normal. I was a little worried because she is so young and my 8 year old boy doesn't even think about it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:39 AM on Feb. 11, 2009

• It is normal for her to explore. I don't think my 8 year old daughter does it anymore, she used to but she stopped.
    Anonymous