How do you know when to start 2nd stage foods?

My son is eating the 1st stage foods. He eats like a champ!! lol he can keep it down and everything..sometimes he can eat a whole contaner of it! Hes 51/2 months. Some say it would be ok to introduce him to the 2nd stage foods but im not sure. So is there like a sertain age you start them or what?

kylie_2008

Asked by kylie_2008 at 2:08 PM on Feb. 9, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I didn't bother with the stage one foods because you get more with the stage two and my dd likes it thicker. Rather than having to mix the stage one with rice cereal I just feed her stage two. It is the same thing, just a smidge thicker. I would go ahead and switch if he is doing fine with the stage one.
    kboney29

Answer by kboney29 at 2:11 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• The main difference between 1st and 2nd stage foods is the amount. The consistency is about the same, so when he's consistently eating all of a stage 1 food and wanting more, then switch him to stage 2. Just be sure to continue following the rule of one new food at a time, and the same goes for combinations. Like if you want to try apples and blueberries, if he's already had applesauce, for instance, then the blueberries would be the new food and stick with that for 3 or 4 days; if he hasn't had apples or blueberries, then you should try one of those by itself first before the combination.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 2:13 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• Stage 1 and 2 are about the same. The difference is larger jars and more flavors. I didn't notice any difference in how thick they were. When I use jarred foods (I make homemade too... it's REALLY easy!) I pour part in a bowl and mix with rice or oatmeal. My son likes his foods thick. Stage 3 foods are thicker and some have chunks... and you also find more "dinners" and more combination foods that you can't try until they have had more of the single foods.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 2:50 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• Stage 2 was dissapointing. The only difference I noticed was the size, and the fact that they combined things. Stage 2 does peas and carrots etc in one jar. I never worried about the "one food at a time thing" so the stage 2 were much easier for me. He ate soo much...and I just thickened them with rice. Now he's almost on just table food. He has no problem with the Stage 3 dinners. :)
    srenee1988

Answer by srenee1988 at 1:56 AM on Feb. 10, 2009