11 yr old w/specific learning disability

Good morning all
I was hoping some of you can give me some advice. We just recently moved to Florida from N.Y. My daughter has problems with reading. I'm concerned about her education here in florida the school system is completely different than N.Y. I want to help her i feel that she is losing motivation. Despite her trouble with reading she has alway been willing to try and eager to learn. We read and practice math together but it can become a battle. Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated. Also if anyone can make suggestions or provide any info on how to navigate through the Education system here in Florida.

thank you

jenlesly

Asked by jenlesly at 8:27 AM on Oct. 11, 2012 in Tweens (9-12)

• Not sure but may have her checked for ADHD?
    ajrjj05

Answer by ajrjj05 at 8:35 AM on Oct. 11, 2012

• Does she have an IEP? If so make sure all the paper work has been sent. I had an issue with that when we moved to Tennessee. Her records was sent but not her IEP paperwork. Also if she doesn't have an IEP it might do her some good to get one. It's done my daughter alot of good. I had to learn a new system too when we moved to another state. It's almost like culture shock, but I spoke with the people in the office and any questions I had they were willing to answer. Hope this help, have a great day.
    luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 8:37 AM on Oct. 11, 2012

• Is it possible that the method used to teach her isn't suited to her needs? Some children are more "visual" than others. I would have a word with her teacher to see if she can give you any suggestions based on what she knows about your daughter.
    winterglow

Answer by winterglow at 8:55 AM on Oct. 11, 2012

• What's the problem? Reading could be dyslexia. Math problems could be dyscalulia, a math dyslexia.

http://www.dyslexia.com/

http://www.dyscalculia.org/

And finally: A Letter to A Math Teacher (this is what got me to realize I most likely have dyscalulia)

Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 11:43 AM on Oct. 11, 2012

• Thank you all for your response. Yes my daughter has an IEP which states that she has difficulty w/ phonemic awareness, sentence structure and reading comprehension. She has 2nd grade level/ math 4 grade level. She is required to be in a class that has co-teaching and has been given extra time in her states exams. I have always felt that she has symptoms of dyslexia but she was classified Specific learning disability in reading...
    jenlesly

Comment by jenlesly (original poster) at 10:34 PM on Oct. 11, 2012

• You daughters issues sound extremely close to my daughters learning disabilities. Lower level reading, higher level math. My daughter is dyslexic see if the school can have your daughter tested for dyslexia. If not the Scottish Rite Foundation does this free of charge. Hope this helps, best wishes.

luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 11:11 PM on Oct. 11, 2012