Have you ever been invited to a wedding, or invited someone to your wedding, for just 1?

I was invited to a coworker's wedding with just a reservation for 1...meaning I can't bring my husband. It's not my wedding and I know weddings cost per guest but I find this pretty awkward. Luckily there will be other coworkers that I know and get along with there so I'll have people to hang with because otherwise I would not attend a wedding alone. Is it a common thing to invite just one person to a wedding without the invitation for a guest?

maecntpntz219

Asked by maecntpntz219 at 3:13 PM on Oct. 11, 2012 in Relationships

• I have never seen a wedding invitation where one partner was invited but not the spouse. EVER.
    winterglow

Answer by winterglow at 3:45 PM on Oct. 11, 2012

• No, I sure haven't. And I would never attend an event where my husband was not welcome to attend with me.
    theMOMmission

Answer by theMOMmission at 6:03 PM on Oct. 11, 2012

• no
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 6:13 PM on Oct. 11, 2012

• If my husband couldn't go, then I wouldn't. We are two parts of a whole.
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 6:21 PM on Oct. 11, 2012

• yes
    smiley745

Answer by smiley745 at 3:32 PM on Oct. 11, 2012

• Yes, I was invited to a wedding once. It was a co-worker and she let the married guy bring his wife. At the time, I was in a long term relationship with a woman but only "married" people could bring their partner. I thought it was pretty tacky. But she was my boss, so what are you going to do. Anyway, turns out they divorced a year later and I suspect they had the wedding just to get the gifts, because they stayed friends and lived as roommates while dating others when they split up. Now that's really tacky! I gave them a $50 gift!!!
    Anonymous

• My step-daughter is getting married in April. Her mom - my husband's ex - will be getting married next month. My step-daughter has told her husband-to-be that he will not be invited to the wedding. It's basically because her mom had an affair with him and left my husband for him 7 years ago. They held off on getting married so they could maximize the alimony from my husband. Anyway, my husband is ok with him coming to the wedding simply because he will be his ex's husband at the time of the wedding (and feels it is proper for one's spouse to attend a wedding). But my step-daughter feels uncomfortable with everyone all together at her event. I don't blame her because I know it will be a distraction with the man there. The down side is that the mom won't have a partner and will probably be very nervous and self-conscious. She will probably come and hang around us or my DH's family (who still are angry with her but act nice).
    Anonymous

• Well it's not that my husband isn't welcome - I COULD bring him - but only I have a reservation for dinner as my invitation didn't include a guest. I RSVPed for 2 anyway and actually got a call from the bride's mother saying I was reserved for only one lol. I wouldn't bring him to a wedding to have him sit there and watch the rest of us eat!
    maecntpntz219

Comment by maecntpntz219 (original poster) at 12:31 AM on Oct. 12, 2012

• That strange I would not go
    Alisim

Answer by Alisim at 9:34 AM on Oct. 12, 2012

• No, I've never heard of such a thing. And if people were going to do such a thing, it might be more applicable to "single" people vs. people you know are married. Particularly when people don't attend functions the way people used to do. I doubt if it is going to be the social event of the year, just don't go. Give your regrets, pitch in a few dollars with some of your co-workers for a group gift, sign the card and do something fun that day with your DH. In other words, don't worry about someone else's lack of style.
    jdjamm

Answer by jdjamm at 12:30 AM on Oct. 15, 2012