Is Boys and Girls Club safe for kids? Concerned about their allowing community service opportunities

My son is supposed to go to Boys and Girls Club tomorrow for an in-service day so I can go to work. The place seems nice enough but I just saw on their website that people can do their community service hours there of 20 hours and more only.... Should I be worried? They say they do background checks on everyone. They are 1/3 the cost of other daycare places in the area...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:57 PM on Oct. 11, 2012 in General Parenting

• I'm sure it's fine. They won't have sex offenders there, for sure, and I'm sure that the actual staff keeps a close eye on the volunteers and the kids - assuming the volunteers actually even get near the kids. I don't think you need to worry.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 5:02 PM on Oct. 11, 2012

• I did community service hours as a part of NHS in high school and did some of them at a boys and girls club. Not all "community service opportunities" are done by delinquents. I would imagine that in a place like that, they are done a lot by students trying to fulfill school/club/graduation credits, etc. Maybe you could ask?
    daylily888

Answer by daylily888 at 5:05 PM on Oct. 11, 2012

• Most of the community service that they have is for grounds keeping. My son use to go to our Boys and Girls Club but my husband has been there twice with his internship with a local company and both times there were NO adults present outside. I am not saying that all of them will be like this but just keep an open eye to any problems and make sure you ask your child questions. 

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 5:05 PM on Oct. 11, 2012

• Oh, I should add... I was under-impressed by the way that Boys and Girls club was run. Kids were out of control and so was the kids language and tempers. The workers did nothing to correct except a wimpy verbal warning - no follow through.

Locally, my 4 nieces had to spend some time in the Boys and Girls club. They hated it so much because the kids were "so mean, and it was so noisy and you couldn't do homework and I didn't want to play with those kids." They started to protest going and were finally pulled out and BIL found a different means of after school care. The kids are much happier.
    daylily888

Answer by daylily888 at 5:17 PM on Oct. 11, 2012

• I am betting their background is a local police check which does not include a 50 state background check or fingerprints. I never allowed my daughter to go there or anywhere that did not do the recommended FBI background check.
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 5:39 PM on Oct. 11, 2012

• Our local Boys and Girls club is wonderful. They are great with the kids. A lot of the 'workers' are high school and college students who NEED community service hours to graduate. Not all community service is for people in jail. Every high school and college in my are require students to have so many community service hours.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 5:53 PM on Oct. 11, 2012

• Yes, it is true that alot of the kids are High school kids which does not mean that they cannot offend. The Seattle YMCA had a Summer program that hires highschoolers and a 17 year old boy (summer worker) molested 3 little boys under the age of 5.
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 2:17 PM on Oct. 12, 2012