When should I move my 20 month old to a bed?

My son will be 2 in April, and I am due with my 3rd child in June. My question is, should I move my son out of the crib before the baby arrives? At this point, he still likes sleeping in his crib, so I don't want to move him, but I also don't want it to be as if the baby is stealing his crib later on. I have a packn'play with the bassinett that I could use for the baby for a few months. I just wondered if anyone has dealt with this and how it worked out. Thanks!

moma16412

Asked by moma16412 at 2:34 PM on Feb. 9, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I moved my son to a toddler bed when he was about 21 months. He loved his crib, and he adjusted just fine to his new bed. The toddler beds use the same mattress as the crib, so maybe that's why he had some comfort with the new bed?
    dakotaNrye

Answer by dakotaNrye at 2:36 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• We only have one child, so i cant help you with the "stealing" problem. But my question is: Why dont you buy your new baby a new bed when your other child still needs it?! If you cant afford it, then you should check online (ebay, craigslist ect) to get a bed for either the big brother or the new baby.

Other than that. You know your son better. how does he sleep?! i know that i wont be able to move our DD in a toddler bed for a really long time. She is 19 1/2 months old and wiggling around so much at night, that she would def. fall out.

I asked my mom a couple weeks ago and she told me she waited until my brother and i were at least 3 years old.
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 2:38 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• If he is still happy now I would just wait. Seems better to keep him in a familiar place when the newborn arrives. Also there is no rush and a lot of kids do have trouble transitioning. So you don't want to have it where you have a newborn crying and a two year old wandering around at night !!!

I waited until both kids were older. It seemed age 3 was better to me. Everyone has different opinions on what worked for them and what age is best....but this is just what seemed to work for our home.
    J9Mommy

Answer by J9Mommy at 2:39 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• I would move him as soon as you can before the baby gets here. Even waiting a few months before putting the baby in the crib, he's still going to know you took the crib away from him and gave it to the baby.

If you start now, you'll have plenty of time to work out any potential issues with a move....put up the new bed and take down the crib. Out of sight, out of mind.

We moved ours each to a regular bed at 15 months.

But the decision is yours, obviously!!!
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 4:46 PM on Feb. 9, 2009