• In the Spotlight:

How do I get my 15month old out of our bed!!! Please Help!!!

He will be asleep & can feel when we lower him in his crib. He immediatly starts crying in which he has done for 40 min. at that point I just put him in our bed. Thank you for any help I can get.

nicnelp

Asked by nicnelp at 2:42 PM on Feb. 9, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i would just let him cry until he falls asleep.

co-sleeping is really dangerous and such a bad habit. its so hard to make kids/babies quit. So there isnt much you can do, except from letting him cry it out.
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 2:44 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• When I was trying to get my LO out of our bed I thought letting her fall asleep in our bed then placing her in hers would work. WRONG! So, I changed my stratagy and placed her in her bed by-passing mine totally (no snuggle or playing on my bed). She cried for 10 minutes and was out. I think when we let them fall asleep in our beds it makes things worse in the long run. Any ways it took 3 nights of doing this and now we are able to ask her if she is ready for night-night. She says yes and we place her in her bed and she goes straight to sleep no crying at all anymore. Good Luck!
    SandraBeth

Answer by SandraBeth at 2:53 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• I'd like to help, but I co-sleep by bed sharing - contrary to some people's opinions, it's not dangerous, and I strongly recommend that parents who can safely co-sleep do so until their child is ready to move out. However, rather than bed sharing, you may want to consider putting a toddler bed in your room if you feel uncomfortable with your child in your bed. It doesn't require you lowering your child into a crib and they can still be in your presence, which is all your child wants.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 3:07 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• A book I found really helpful in the sleep department - Good Night Sleep Tight by Kim West. Super big help with all known sleep issues and very workable plans for independent stress free sleep.
    Good luck - mine have been in their own beds from day one, so can't offer more then that.
    HAVMommy

Answer by HAVMommy at 3:08 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• I totally agree with JPsMommy. All my kids have co-slept(bed shared actually) with me with no problem and have moved willingly when they were ready. If you need him moved now, I'd check out the No Cry Sleep Solution by Elizabeth Pantley. It helps with most any sleep related problem. Get the baby version since your son is under 2.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 3:44 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• The best thing to do is tough it out. Put him in his bed and let him cry it out, Just check on him in 5 minute intervals, then 10 minuted intervals, then 15 minute intervals, till he goes to sleep. (The intervals should go up every couple of nights) That way he feels secure and safe knowing you are nearby, but also knows he's not getting out of bed. Just don't ever pick him up, stand next to his crib and talk to him at first. The second, third..etc. times you check on him, just stand at the door and tell him to go to sleep, Good night.
    This can take a few weeks. I went through the same thing with my girl, it worked!
    Be Tough! :)
    Rebecca77

Answer by Rebecca77 at 1:06 PM on Feb. 11, 2009