Do you or yur children have asthma? Do you take Singulair tablets? Have you tried the new generic version?

Our insurance says they will only pay for generic from now on. Just wondering how effective it is.

booklover545

Asked by booklover545 at 7:30 PM on Oct. 11, 2012 in Health

• It's exactly the same as Singulair with the exception of company making the drug. At this point, there are 10 companies licensed by the FDA to make and market Montelukast (singulair).

All side effects are the same as brand.
    Most insurance companies will only allow generics unless a PA was approved from your insurance company.
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 2:36 AM on Oct. 13, 2012

• No. I went off of it about three weeks ago. I found out it was causing me to have anxiety, depression and high blood pressure. I saw the generic was coming out. You can check with PMS to see if she has had any complaints about it.....
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 7:31 PM on Oct. 11, 2012

• My son was diagnosed with Asthma/allergies last November, and at the time he was put on Singulair tablets (and had taken Singulair from then to this Aug.). At his last Rx refill in August (we have 3mo refills) the pharmacy sent a 'generic equivalent' (Montelukast) instead of the 'name brand' Singulair. I have not seen anything to indicate that the generic is any different than the name brand, it seems to be working quite well for my son.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 11:40 AM on Oct. 12, 2012

• Interesting - our doc wanted to put my DD on it a couple years ago because her allergies were so bad but she never did write out the prescription. We now do have to start pursuing asthma testing though.
    idareyou

Answer by idareyou at 7:51 PM on Oct. 11, 2012

• So far we've had no complaints. Just sighs of relief that it's now generic :)
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 2:38 AM on Oct. 13, 2012