Changing identical twins into different rooms?

I have identical twins and they are 3 years old, they have a strong relationship. I love the fact that they have such a strong one and I encourage it.

I've kept them in the same crib till 6 months then I made the headboards touching so they could hold each other hands at night, now they are in "Big girl" beds and their beds are on different sides of the room.

I want to put them in their own rooms but I'm scared it might ruin their twin relationship and it seem like I don't love them, so what can I do? Has anyone else gone though this same issues as me?

Thanks
Addison

LovingMommy0123

Asked by LovingMommy0123 at 9:56 PM on Oct. 11, 2012 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My brothers are twins and they slept in the same bed until they were 8 or 9! My mama tried bunk beds with them, but they would move with each other at night. Around 8 or 9 they got to the point that they wanted their own space, privacy, and such. My guess is that they will let you know when they want rooms of their own.

I was one of 10 kids in a 4 bedroom house, though. We all shared rooms. I have a larger house and only 3 girls, but they all sleep in the same room because they like having a toy room and office where we homeschool. We have the space if they ever decide they need more room, and it sounds like you have the room too, but I wouldn't push the issue unless they seem unhappy. Believe me, they'll let you know if they want more space.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 10:04 PM on Oct. 11, 2012

• Why do you want to seperate them?
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 10:05 PM on Oct. 11, 2012

• why do you have to separate them? They are still so young keep them in the same room and make a spare room their play room.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 10:10 PM on Oct. 11, 2012

• I don't understand why you have too? I agree with the above make a play room or something fir now. Let them be together as long as possible...
    SassySue123

Answer by SassySue123 at 10:19 PM on Oct. 11, 2012

• I wouldn't separate them right now. You can have 1 room & 1 playroom and, then separate them when they get older and ask for it.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 10:48 PM on Oct. 11, 2012

• Let them be in the same room, later on they will most likely want their own space!
    momw2teens522

Answer by momw2teens522 at 1:49 AM on Oct. 12, 2012

• I have twin daughters. They've always slept in the same place. When there's a field trip, the one who stays at home is unhappy in her room (the other one is way too busy having fun - lol).

They have known for years (they are nearly 10) that they can have separate rooms whenever they want to but neither wants to yet.

Why do you want them in separate rooms if they have shown no sign of wanting to move? It just makes for one more room to clean - lol.
    winterglow

Answer by winterglow at 1:55 AM on Oct. 12, 2012

• I will let them together and separate them when they ask for it.
    Alisim

Answer by Alisim at 10:49 AM on Oct. 12, 2012

• For all of those that are asking, of why I want to move them, so maybe they can gain a sense of independence and can decorate their own room how they like... But I guess you all are right, they aren't asking and both can tolerate each other at this moment. So I guess I'll wait it out and see how life grows with twins and twins on the way.

We have more then enough room in our house, our house is kinda big, we have 5 bed 4 bath home on a big lot of land. We already have 2 play rooms for those rooms, and then one is our master bedroom and then our twins room and an office, so all rooms are taken up, but one of their play room is going to become the nursery for the newest addition of twins.
    LovingMommy0123

Comment by LovingMommy0123 (original poster) at 9:52 PM on Oct. 12, 2012