Is it normal to loose instead of gain weight?

Between my first appointment and this last one I have lost 8 lbs. I think I also lost weight between getting pregnant and that first apointment.

squredncinggal

Asked by squredncinggal at 2:54 PM on Feb. 9, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• It could be a sign of a serious problem. Talk to you OB-GYN about it pronto.
    Anonymous

• Anonymous does NOT know what they are talking about!!!

Here are some questions for you- were you a bit over weight to begin with? Did you start to eat healthier after you found out you were pregnant? Have you always been one to carry extra water weight?

Losing weight in the first trimester is not a bad thing. It is the third when the doctors worry if you drop too much.

dakotaNrye

Answer by dakotaNrye at 3:02 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• It's normal. I lost about 15 in my first trimester and then gained back about 25 in the 2nd and 3rd - doctor was never worried about either - the loss or the gain.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:16 AM on Feb. 10, 2009

• i lost 40 lbs during my pregnancy.. one doctor ( student) told me not to lose anymore, but my regular doctor was fine with it
    sweetscrappin

Answer by sweetscrappin at 1:53 AM on Feb. 10, 2009

• Hey! I think its ok. I lost weight at first and only ended up gaining 17 lbs and i had a perfectly healthy 6 lb 14 oz baby boy 2.5 weeks early. I was worried too and my dr. said not to. I was really sick so im sure that had something to do with it. Your dr. knows best though and as long as he/she isnt worried than you shouldnt either.
    wmkmommy

Answer by wmkmommy at 9:19 AM on Feb. 11, 2009