Why is it...

that babies have over a hundred different toys and only wants to play with things he can't get into. I'll set ten different toys in front of him and he'll just stare but will want to play with the cords or stuff that can spill?

LaurenKaye29

Asked by LaurenKaye29 at 3:01 PM on Feb. 9, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• the things you cant have are always more important.

;)
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 3:03 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• curousity. (I can't spell!). Baby's seen those those, now wants something new.
    Anonymous

• I think its becuase the things that they shouldnt get into are out of reach so they cant see them as well. They get curious and want to know what that thing is and why you are trying to hide it. I hide some of my daughters toys or put them up on counters where it looks like she shouldnt have them. Then when she gets them she thinks she is discovering something.
    amber710

Answer by amber710 at 3:06 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• because those are the things they see you getting in to and they want to "help" or get into the same stuff......they are very curious at this age and will be for a while-lol.....but for the most part they learn by watching and then that is what they get interested in the most!
    Tricia19

Answer by Tricia19 at 3:19 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• Yup, curiosity. But it is funny, cause my daughter always loves real phones, keys, etc better than toy phones and toy keys.

Your best bet is to allow baby to play with safe household items like pots, pans, the phone, car keys (wash them first!), spoons, plastic bowls, your hair dryer, maybe some DVD cases, a box of tinfoil, box of ziplock bags, fill 3 bowls with stuff like dried pasta, rice, beans and let them go nuts!

Kids love that kind of stuff, but you need to supervise AT ALL TIMES! Because obviously an unattended baby with plastic bags or a hair dryer .. ya.
    Arkaidy

Answer by Arkaidy at 10:15 PM on Feb. 9, 2009