Getting my dog neutered, will his personality change?

I have a 3yr old Shih Tzu that I am having neutered this week. He is a very sweet dog, and is very attached to me. He does have some minor territorial issues with some of our other dogs (a 4 month old Lab female and a 6 month old German Shorthair male) and I hope that these issues will go away after he is neutered.
My question is:
Will my sweet and cuddly dogs personality change after he is fixed? I love how sweet and affectionate he is, and I don't want that to change.

bookay

Asked by bookay at 3:04 PM on Feb. 9, 2009 in Pets

• They change but not for the worse. Mine got more loving. They were really quiet for a week or two.
    I love thier personality now. Don't worry. He will still love you as much. My sister just passed away and she has a very small Pomeranian and we will have to find a home for him. He is pining right now but he is very sweet. His name is Little Bit. His color is red.
    POMMOM335

Answer by POMMOM335 at 11:11 AM on Feb. 10, 2009

• I think they get a little lazy afterwards.
    Anonymous

• Having less testotrone will probably cause him to not be so aggressive. The thing is though, he has learned to be this way already, so neuturing him might not take away any of his aggression issues. And to answer your question, he will remain loving to you :)
    dakotaNrye

Answer by dakotaNrye at 3:07 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• I am not too sure about this. What I can tell you is I rescued an older dog from a shelter. He has been neutered about six months prior to me getting him. He is the sweetest, more affectionate dog ever. So, I wouldn't worry about that too much. If anything I hear it makes them settle down more.
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 3:07 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• He won't he wanting to chase after females after.

Answer by louise2 at 3:07 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• Yeah, this is him. The sunglasses and cigar are fake. I photoshop him often!
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 3:08 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• If he is already 'marking' then having him fixed will not stop that... you'll have to train him to stop. If he is dominant with your other dogs, again, fixing will not solve that. Some say that it WILL change their personality, others say it doesn't. It may just depend on the dog. Shih Tzus along with breeds like Yorkies tend to be territorial by nature....
    I do not think he will stop being affectionate with you at all. But you may have to make new boundaries with him because of his issues with the other dogs - really you should reorient his pack mentality anyhow... that should help with his territorial issues some or completely.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 3:10 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• I got my shih tzu fixed incredibly early- he was actually fixed a day before the vet's four month old limit. He has never been territorial, he is like my teddy bear. he follows me everywhere and when my feet are cold I lay him on them and he just lies there and looks at me like "what?" (that's what he's doing as we speak) but doesn't move. I wanted to skip the marking and all though and especially the humping--uh--ick... so i can't help with an older dog.
    LuckyClown

Answer by LuckyClown at 8:43 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• i just heard they calm down. Not as hyper and jumpy...at least i hope thats true my one dog is a nutcase!
    Kennadismom

Answer by Kennadismom at 11:51 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• I dont have any small dogs, but my male Siberian husky got less aggresive and hyper after we got him fixed, and he was already 4 years old. The only warning I have is sometimes the anasthetic the vets use can effect the dog's behaivor for a couple of days. My dog didn't bite anybody, but he got loose (we have an electric fence and I think he ran right through it), ran 2 houses up to my in-laws' house, and killed one of their sheep. I'd watch yours around small kids and your other pets the first few days, but other than that, he should be fine. In any case, huskies have a bit more of a "hunting" instinct than a Shih zhu :)
    Koukla12905

Answer by Koukla12905 at 2:06 AM on Feb. 10, 2009