Potty trained and still having problems

My daughter is 3 years old and she's been potty trained for almost a year now. Unfortunately, she still has a problem remembering to go when we're out in public. She also can't go without wearing a pull up at night.
It's it normal for her to still have accidents even after being potty trained for so long? What else can I do to help her remember to go?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:08 PM on Feb. 9, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Accidents are common even in first grade. When a child is busy playing or looking around, when their mind is fully occupied, they will have accidents. Since you know it's a problem for her, keep track of when she last went and make sure she goes every couple hours. You can even do it sneaky - YOU go to the bathroom and have her try too.

As for bedtime... did you know that 20% of 5 year old wet the bed? Did you know that it's not considered a potential medical problem until after age 8? This too is common. If you are ready to start "night training" her, here are some suggestions:
    - cont -
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:42 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• My DD just turn three yesterday........she started potty training at 11 months and was pretty much potty trained other than nights at 18 months and night at 2! She NEVER has accidents and in the last week and a half she had three within a few days! I was like WTF???-lol....I was freaking out that she was regressing for some reason.......I asked if she liked going in her pants and she said "no, thats disgusting!" and I told her we needed to make sure she went on the potty-so, I got her a baby doll and put diapers on it and she was responsible for making baby go on the potty! She picked right up on it and things are back to normal!
    Tricia19

Answer by Tricia19 at 3:17 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• My 4 year old still forgets or gets too busy to remember. I would say it's only been about 3 months that she has consistently dry undies at the end of the day - potty trained is only 1/2 way there. The rest takes a lot longer then you think. The bed time thing - some kids just take longer. Mine is a very sound sleeper and has NEVER woken up dry - she still wears a diaper at night and probably will for a while longer. Our Dr. said some kids don't get the night time thing in til 6 or 7 - it's not a problem, just how their body and brain work together. Just give it time, reinforce it positively and don't fret the nights. Masters days first. Good luck!
    HAVMommy

Answer by HAVMommy at 3:18 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• Nothing to drink within 2 hours of bedtime.
    Wake her for a bathroom run before you go to bed.
    Wake her again at 2am. If she is still dry, wake her half hour later the next night. Keep doing this until you find the time of night when she is wet. If you find a pattern (always wet after 3am but never before 2:30am) then wake her before that time (at 2:30 in the example) every night until she starts to wake herself. Be aware that this could take years.
    OR
    Wait to see if she outgrows it like most kids do. If she is still having problems at 5, talk to her doctor and make certain there are no medical problems. Try bedwetting alarms or meds at that point.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:44 PM on Feb. 9, 2009