Parental Consent

DISCLAIMER: This is NOT a debate about IF abortion should be legal or illegal. If you want to debate that, please do it elsewhere.  

Moving right along, I recently heard this statement made:

If a minor needs consent from their parents to get their ears pierced, parents should be notified about their child getting an abortion.

Okay, now for the question:  Do you agree or disagree and WHY?

theMOMmission

Asked by theMOMmission at 2:16 PM on Oct. 12, 2012 in Parenting Debate

• Agree. It should be a family decision. While I'm all for keeping abortion legal (and free, and easy access to it) it's still a family decision and we need to drop this bullshit 'It's all about the woman' mantra. We're teaching our daughters to be selfish, self-centered idiots and that doesn't exactly help them to turn into strong women and mothers.
    FreeForAll

Answer by FreeForAll at 2:21 PM on Oct. 12, 2012

• I agree and wouldn't want my DD to have an abortion without my knowledge. I realize though that there are certain situations where informing the parents might not be the best idea for the safety of the child. For instance, in cases of incest. I don't know the right answer to this though. Weird, my mom and I were talking about this the other day. I guess this is one of the issues that she will be voting on. She is torn as well because of the special circumstances.

As for myself, I do not like the idea that my child could go have a surgical procedure without my knowledge or consent.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 2:28 PM on Oct. 12, 2012

• In most states a child can not get their bodies tatooed or elective surgeries without a parent's consent. In most cases for any type of medical treatment, not always.
    A child is classified as anyon under the age of 18.
    If that is the case then an abortion falls under this heading.
    IF the State/Country has decided that a child is able to make that decision on their own because they OWN their body and have a right to make those decisions. Then too they should be able to make all he other decisions as well. However, IF the State/ Country decides children are able to take over their own care/ decisions then they should also decide that children are no long the responsibility of the parents.
    This is wrong.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 2:30 PM on Oct. 12, 2012

• It's a tough one. Part of me agrees, because it is a medical procedure, and I think parents should be involved to help support their daughter. On the other hand, there are some situations where it would be dangerous for the daughter if her parents knew. Unfortunately, making the distinction is really kind of impossible. You can't talk to the parents to determine the danger, so really you can only take the daughter's word for it.

I guess I'd have to go with no, for the protection of those girls whose parents would hurt them.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 2:23 PM on Oct. 12, 2012

• Do they need permission from parents, or do the parents just have to be notified? The consent part I do not agree with. A mother should not be able to force her daughter to keep the baby if she doesn't want to. I do think that parents should know about it though. I would want to know if my daughter was in this situation. I don't like the idea of my daughter getting pregnant and getting an abortion without me knowing anything about it. If I don't know then I can't help her.

Hollyhock.

Answer by Hollyhock. at 2:32 PM on Oct. 12, 2012

• Yes, I agree. Not necessarily "permission" but, the parents need to be notified and aware of the situation.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 2:34 PM on Oct. 12, 2012

• I don't see a difference, frankly. Mu body?my choice should mean the body entirely...IMO, having/not having abortion is waaaaaaaay more important than ear piercings (or tattoos, for that matter ). If a 'child' isn't mature enough to make decisions about marking their body, what makes them mature enough to end a pregnancy?
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 2:34 PM on Oct. 12, 2012

• I disagree. What if the girl was raped and got pregnant and her parents are strict Christians but she isnt and refuses to sign. Why should she carry the baby because of her parents beliefs?
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 2:38 PM on Oct. 12, 2012

• Disagree. A teen's sex life is his/her own, and so is the responsibility.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 2:59 PM on Oct. 12, 2012

• If a child makes a decision about an abortion and their are consequences like infection, hemorrhaging or something more serious like death; how are the parents going to handle getting proper treatment for their child if they don't know what has taken place. I believe parent's should know about any medical procedure that happens to a child. Not to mention that if said something occurs a parent's insurance is going to be expected to take care of the cost when the parent's didn't consent to the original procedure.

I hope that some of that made sense...
    coala

Answer by coala at 4:16 PM on Oct. 12, 2012