How do you find motivation to clean?

Just wondering. Anything helps with me. I am so easily distracted, and my almost 3 year old seems to undo everything I do and helps to distract me lol.

staciandababy

Asked by staciandababy at 3:55 PM on Oct. 12, 2012 in Home & Garden

• My motivation changes. I used to make a pot of coffee and check my email. By the time I was done checking my email, I had enough caffeine in me to get it done. When that no longer worked, I bought a can of starbucks, chugged it and got the cleaning done. Most of the time, if I put on some upbeat music (country music for me), I want to get up and start dancing and then looking around, figure I can get some work done. Years ago, my mother got me hooked on Flylady. I no longer follow the website as I am not a SAHM. I am a single mom that works full time with a boyfriend that lives an hr away. But I do use one of her catch phrases and it seems to help. "I can do anything for 15 minutes except complain." I will literally set an alarm for 15 min and only work during that time. When the time is up, I'm either done or I look at what I have accomplished and decide if I have enough energy to reset the alarm.
    tempsingl3mom

Answer by tempsingl3mom at 12:48 PM on Oct. 13, 2012

• I only clean when I know I have company coming over LOL
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 12:45 PM on Oct. 13, 2012

• I just hate mess.
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 12:17 PM on Oct. 13, 2012

• Invite someone over - that always makes me be sure to clean everything spotless!

Answer by missanc at 10:56 AM on Oct. 13, 2012

• Motivation? Company, lol.

Actually my DH is a neat freak so I try to keep things nice for him and the kids. I'm messy but I do like things clean. I just don't like to organize.
    HHx5

Answer by HHx5 at 9:53 PM on Oct. 12, 2012

• the only motivation i have is guilt haha. guilt that my toilet is dirty, guilt that somebody might see my sinkfull of dishes, or that DH may start wondering what i do all day haha
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 8:22 PM on Oct. 12, 2012

• I watch an episode of hoarders. But I've got OCD tendenccies to so it's like a horror film and lights a fire under my ass to get as far away from looking anything like hoarders as possible. Even though my house is never very bad. It's just enough motivation to keep it that way.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 5:16 PM on Oct. 12, 2012

• *likes to vacuum. (oops)

Next I straighten the LR and pick up the floor. Then after a bit of play time, I can sweep the kitchen and bathrooms. Spray the mirrors/sinks in the bathrooms and give the bowl a quick splash of cleaner and scrub with the brush. Spray the tub with scrubbing bubbles and let set. Empty all the trash and come back to rinse tub/shower. All that is left is laundry.

I don't do all of this every day because some days I run errands after dropping off oldest. On those days, I hit the high-lights & start over the next day. There is also a cleaning group on here & they will post what they are doing, you do it, and post your progress and name the next thing to do. It's fun to clean with an online friend, LOL! I do this sometimes over chat where we come back to check in with each other & it helps hold you accountable AND it's way more fun! Let me know if you want the links to the groups.

Craigslist, LOL!
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 5:01 PM on Oct. 12, 2012

• I always think "If I can just get the house spotless I can start a routine and keep it that way!"

But somehow something always happens tornado style and demolishes it again. SO does NOT help the situation. He makes it 1,000 times worse. He moved out for a month a year ago and the house was spotless everyday. Not that I blame him- he works all day but man he's a messy guy.
    staciandababy

Comment by staciandababy (original poster) at 4:59 PM on Oct. 12, 2012

• I know how you feel. It's difficult with a LO who is undoing things as fast as your are doing them. I clean in spurts. I HAVE to be able to see SOME progress even if it means shutting the door behind me and closing that room off and checking it off for the day. I have learned some tips in the decluttering group here on CM and other sites. The first thing I do after getting breakfast, oldest off to school, etc is make beds. Not military style. We have comforters & sheets and I straighten those and arrange the pillows in the 3 bedrooms in a matter of 5-10 mins. This is a big start. Then I pick up the few toys, laundry, towels and put them up and in the laundry. Dusting/windows would be a deep cleaning day like on the weekends and not that often. My DH like to vacuum. :)

Next unload/reload the DW & pull out lunch/supper to thaw or get it going in crock pot. Wipe down counters and clear table. The house at this point is good.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 4:49 PM on Oct. 12, 2012