How do you find motivation to clean?

Just wondering. Anything helps with me. I am so easily distracted, and my almost 3 year old seems to undo everything I do and helps to distract me lol.

staciandababy

Asked by staciandababy at 3:55 PM on Oct. 12, 2012 in Home & Garden

• I hate dust. I hate dirty stove tops, I hate dirty bathrooms. There's my motivation
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 3:56 PM on Oct. 12, 2012

• I wish I knew. I don't have any motivation except when I have the house all to myself. I clean when I am alone. I don't know why, I just do!
    coala

Answer by coala at 4:08 PM on Oct. 12, 2012

• I like the house clean.

Just watch a couple of episodes of Hoarders...that should get you cleaning quickly!
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 4:34 PM on Oct. 12, 2012

• I know how you feel. It's difficult with a LO who is undoing things as fast as your are doing them. I clean in spurts. I HAVE to be able to see SOME progress even if it means shutting the door behind me and closing that room off and checking it off for the day. I have learned some tips in the decluttering group here on CM and other sites. The first thing I do after getting breakfast, oldest off to school, etc is make beds. Not military style. We have comforters & sheets and I straighten those and arrange the pillows in the 3 bedrooms in a matter of 5-10 mins. This is a big start. Then I pick up the few toys, laundry, towels and put them up and in the laundry. Dusting/windows would be a deep cleaning day like on the weekends and not that often. My DH like to vacuum. :)

Next unload/reload the DW & pull out lunch/supper to thaw or get it going in crock pot. Wipe down counters and clear table. The house at this point is good.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 4:49 PM on Oct. 12, 2012

• *likes to vacuum. (oops)

Next I straighten the LR and pick up the floor. Then after a bit of play time, I can sweep the kitchen and bathrooms. Spray the mirrors/sinks in the bathrooms and give the bowl a quick splash of cleaner and scrub with the brush. Spray the tub with scrubbing bubbles and let set. Empty all the trash and come back to rinse tub/shower. All that is left is laundry.

I don't do all of this every day because some days I run errands after dropping off oldest. On those days, I hit the high-lights & start over the next day. There is also a cleaning group on here & they will post what they are doing, you do it, and post your progress and name the next thing to do. It's fun to clean with an online friend, LOL! I do this sometimes over chat where we come back to check in with each other & it helps hold you accountable AND it's way more fun! Let me know if you want the links to the groups.

Craigslist, LOL!
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 5:01 PM on Oct. 12, 2012

• I watch an episode of hoarders. But I've got OCD tendenccies to so it's like a horror film and lights a fire under my ass to get as far away from looking anything like hoarders as possible. Even though my house is never very bad. It's just enough motivation to keep it that way.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 5:16 PM on Oct. 12, 2012

• the only motivation i have is guilt haha. guilt that my toilet is dirty, guilt that somebody might see my sinkfull of dishes, or that DH may start wondering what i do all day haha
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 8:22 PM on Oct. 12, 2012

• I need to purge stuff I think. There's too much STUFF.
    staciandababy

Comment by staciandababy (original poster) at 4:16 PM on Oct. 12, 2012

• See? Now i'm listing things on Craigslist instead of cleaning.
    staciandababy

Comment by staciandababy (original poster) at 4:29 PM on Oct. 12, 2012

• I always think "If I can just get the house spotless I can start a routine and keep it that way!"

But somehow something always happens tornado style and demolishes it again. SO does NOT help the situation. He makes it 1,000 times worse. He moved out for a month a year ago and the house was spotless everyday. Not that I blame him- he works all day but man he's a messy guy.
    staciandababy

Comment by staciandababy (original poster) at 4:59 PM on Oct. 12, 2012