Cross in the Closet: From Bigotry to Empathy

Read this article about the author and the book.  

What are your thoughts based on this article and the video?  Do you agree?  Why or why not?  Would you read this book?  Why or why not?

Not sure what category to place this in.  If you feel I should recat, send me a PM.

theMOMmission

Asked by theMOMmission at 6:23 PM on Oct. 12, 2012 in Politics & Current Events

• I don't relate to the premise at all. I wouldn't read it.

How do you know you won't relate to something you refuse to read?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:48 AM on Oct. 13, 2012

• I don't think I'd read this book because I'm not sure how genuine it is. I don't like when people try to catch someone doing something wrong. I don't like the idea of pretending to be someone by openly deceiving people. I also don't like the idea that he secretly read his mothers journal. This makes me distrust the author and feels like this project might just be a ruse to write a book, and not based on his actual expirences.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 7:35 PM on Oct. 12, 2012

• lol the epitome of willful ignorance.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 11:55 AM on Oct. 13, 2012

• I think that sometimes the word "homophobic" is thrown around too loosely, but it does sound as if this young man was homophobic before his experiment. He felt revulsion anytime he was around a gay person and would have punched someone in the face if they pinched his rear end. He finally learned to see them as human beings.

Believing that physical acting out on same sex attraction is a sin is not the same as being homophobic. I know that many will disagree with me, but by definition, a phobia is a fear. I've had gay friends since high school (almost 30 years), and I never stopped even after I committed my life to Jesus. I had to struggle with a lot of areas of Scripture, and the passages on homosexuality were not the only ones. I was also deeply offended as a feminist. I finally decided that I had to accept Scripture in its entirely because I believe it is the inspired Word of God (cont).
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 5:49 PM on Oct. 13, 2012

• (cont) That does not mean we are allowed to treat people like crap. I have friends who live together without being married, and that is also not something that goes along with my beliefs, but as long as they are not having sex in front of me, we don't have a problem.

It sounds like an interesting book.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 5:51 PM on Oct. 13, 2012

• wow that was an amazing thing to read. I found it so interesting how he kept talking about the fact that when you shun homosexuality, you are shunning the person. THat they are human beings, with feelings, and when they are shunned, there are consequences to that to them as the humans that they are.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 6:41 PM on Oct. 12, 2012

• I don't relate to the premise at all. I wouldn't read it
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 10:44 PM on Oct. 12, 2012

• I might read it.
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 12:12 PM on Oct. 13, 2012