What age did you stop staring at your child in the bath?

By this I mean, when did you feel ok to walk away for a minute? Or five? When was constant supervision not as important anymore?

dakotaNrye

Asked by dakotaNrye at 3:23 PM on Feb. 9, 2009 in General Parenting

• Ugh!I have a 15 year old i don't like to leave in the tub alone.Not because anything will happen but because he will not bathe.

I usually stayed away when they started requesting it.
    laranadtony

Answer by laranadtony at 3:27 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• NEVER... unless they are old enough to get out of the tub by themself and know what it means to not get under the water with their head when they are alone. i guess that means at around 5-7yrs old.

They just need to fall, hit their head, pass out and drown.

i might be paranoid, but i rather want to be safe than sorry.
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 3:28 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• I put my 2 and 4 year old in the bath, and i don't stand right there with them the whole time. I might walk into the living room to get something then walk back (30 sec. at most). And if there are clothes to fold I stand in my room and fold them, put them away, and hang them up, but I can see the tub while I'm doing all that, except when I hang something up, then its a glance in the closet then back to watching the tub. I'm never out of hearing range, and since they are together, if one of them does anything, the other one is quick to holler (whether it is splashing water or standing up in the tub, etc). They will have to be MUCH MUCH older before I get out of ear sight and stay out of line of sight while they are in the tub.
    Anonymous

• Why does it seem that teenage boys don't like to bathe?? My brother was practically forced! He was the smelly kid :(
    dakotaNrye

Answer by dakotaNrye at 3:34 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• I just know that I have walked away, not for long periods of time with my son. He is only 2 1/2 but sometimes I need to find a towel or something....
    dakotaNrye

Answer by dakotaNrye at 3:36 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• When they start becoming self consious about their bodies. That's also the time that I introduced them to the shower. Starting off they took a shower with the door open. Now I'm glad they keep the door closed. Their music is so loud and I DON'T even want to know what all they do in there...lol
    happy2bme7

Answer by happy2bme7 at 3:39 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• m.robertson811 NEVER... unless they are old enough to get out of the tub by themself and know what it means to not get under the water with their head when they are alone. i guess that means at around 5-7yrs old. They just need to fall, hit their head, pass out and drown. i might be paranoid, but i rather want to be safe than sorry.

THis is how I feel! My DS is 7 and I will "leave him alone" but I'm right at the door watching. There are sooo many things that could happen and I'd rather be safe than sorry as well. :o)

Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 3:45 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• My child is almost 5, and we'll leave him alone for a few minutes now. He's "terrified" of water, and will never stand up in the tub, put his face in it or lay down. He also usually is playing his "water trumpet" or singing, so we can hear him the whole time.
    RanaAurora

Answer by RanaAurora at 3:56 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• I does depend on the child and the type of seat they are in. My youngest was in something he couldn't get out of until he was 2. So, from about 18 months-2 I would get things done and check on him every now and again. Once he turned 2 and started sitting in the tub without a seat, I would sit with him. Now, he's almost 3 and he does very well on his own. He doesn't stand or mess with the water, but I'm never more than a second away.

hdb

Answer by hdb at 3:59 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• When my son is 5 I might start letting him bathe alone (with me checking on him) with the door open. It's right next to the living room so we will be able to easily see him from there.
    JasonsMom2007

Answer by JasonsMom2007 at 4:32 PM on Feb. 9, 2009