i need to get a student loan and FASFA wont accept me bc i still live with my parents so they look at there income instead of mine.....

Im a single mom and i need to go back to school so i can support my daughter and i.. any ideas for a student loan i can apply for online????

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:39 PM on Feb. 9, 2009 in Money & Work

• oh and i live in Texas
    Anonymous

• Having a child makes it so that you are considered to be a independent. I would apply for FASFA, where did it tell you that you can't? Things that make you independent are marriage, the age of 23, or becoming a parent.
    dakotaNrye

Answer by dakotaNrye at 3:40 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• I assume your parents are supporting you both? I don't think there is a way for you to do that without claiming this income. Can you get an apartment and a part time job? You could use someone elses's address if they will let you.
    Anonymous

• Do you have a job? I think you have to have some sort of income... Do your parents claim you and your child on their taxes? IF so, I retort my last.
    dakotaNrye

Answer by dakotaNrye at 3:42 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• Oh yeah tell her to use someones else's address to commit fraud, real smart.

Anonymous

• YES, she has a daughter and is single!!! If she has to commit a little fraud to get ahead in life and not have to depend on a man or on us for public assistance than so be it. Lie and say that you rent a room in the house you live in. It's easy for those who have had the "easy life" to be judgemental. It's not like she's asking how to get free $ while sitting on her butt.
    Anonymous

• Do you know where you'll be going to school? Your best bet is to call the financial aid office at the school, make an appointment, and see what they can do for you. The computer generated FAFSA is just a base starting point - there are plenty of exceptions that can be made, all at the discretion of the financial aid officers.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:10 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• Hey anon :34, the FASFA is what you fill out to get the Pell grant, it is a FEDERAL AIDE, so your argument about relying on us for assistance is null and void...
    dakotaNrye

Answer by dakotaNrye at 9:18 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• Go this website for the FAFSA and it will tell you if you need to use your parents income. I answered everything No except Yes when it asked if I had a child, since I am assuming that you are under 24 and it said that I could be independent. http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/before015.htm
    Magpie75

Answer by Magpie75 at 12:21 AM on Feb. 10, 2009